Leeks

• 22 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Leeks
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 12:15 »
I've got some leeks in a tray that I sowed late last year.  I didn't have the room for them in the alloted bed then forgot about them.  they are still green, if I plant them out now, will they grow?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Leeks
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 12:58 »
cant see any reason why not, nowt to loose.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mattsaze

Leeks
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 17:05 »
My leeks are growing in toilet roll tubes on my window sill (below), I put a couple of seeds in each one, should I thin them out before planting? If I do can I replant the thinnings into toilet roll tubes too? Or are they just composted? I'm also told the mould on the tubes is harmless, I hope so as there is a bit on there now.

Thanks for any advice

gobs

Leeks
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 20:33 »
Yes and yes.

Image doesn't work though, matt. The mould might well be harmless, I don't know.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Bigbadfrankie

Leeks
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 19:32 »
I am thinking to plant the seeds in troughs (the opposite to spud banks) with the seed drill. I have pelleted seed so the spacing will be easy. Then when the leeks are tall enough part the banks back to earth up and blanch the stems also killing off the weeds.

any comments
always have a target
and an objective.

gobs

Leeks
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 22:40 »
Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
I am thinking to plant the seeds in troughs (the opposite to spud banks) with the seed drill. I have pelleted seed so the spacing will be easy. Then when the leeks are tall enough part the banks back to earth up and blanch the stems also killing off the weeds.

any comments

I'm for one not this advanced, Frankie, and personally don't give a toss about weeds, just keep the hoe moving, fact of life like breathing or washing your teeth. Got to be done frequently, no way around it.

And I'm not blanching me leeks ( I don't know why I'm answering this question, really :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ), really enough pain to clean them without and I eat all green bits which in fact are much better for you than the aenemic white ends.

I'm going now, you be pleased to know.

:lol:

nwalch

• Experienced Member
Leeks
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 13:31 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
if a leek only needs 6" between it and the one next to it in the same row, why does it need 12" between it and the one in the next row. I've read this about other plants but can't work out the technical reasoning

You have to leave room for the gardener's feet for weeding etc.

I plant mine much more than 6" apart and always try to turn the plants so that the leaves line up neatly along the row. That makes it easier to shuffle up and down with the hoe.

I've always wondered that, not only with leeks but with most plants esp if you are growing them in raised beds where you should have access from both sides. I can understand needing the extra space to hoe between the rows but what about hoeing the other way between the plants!!!!
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
leeks
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 15:35 »
In the past when I've had plenty of spare plants I've planted a row with 2 or 3 plants together in each hole, and the've done ok.  
Reasonable size leeks, probably average 1inch dia.
Definitely worth trying.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

xx
leeks

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 06:37
by DD.
xx
leeks

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 19:21
by DD.
xx
Leeks at last

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 09:23
by PennyS
xx
leeks

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 13:21
by Aidy

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 32 queries.