Leeks

• 20 Replies

AndyRVTR

Leeks
« on: October 30, 2021, 11:46 »
So, this year I grew Musselburgh leeks which are OK but very inconsistent in size, some still only ½" dia others 1½" dia but I'd like to grow a bigger more consistent variety... can anyone suggest any that I can grow for next year please.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 16:12 »
They are usually very reliable, but this year has been a challenge.  There have been quite a few people complaining on here about skinny leeks.

Mine are Musselburgh and are not as good as they usually are.

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 18:20 »
My leeks aren't great this year, varying sizes from thin to about half the size I've grown in previous years.
I have grown Elefant in the past and found it to be a really good, chunky leek. The soil on my plot was very heavy clay, but over the years I have dug many, many tons of manure into it and it's better now. Still quite heavy deep down though.  Like everything, often the results of any crop rely partly on your own growing conditions as much as the variety grown.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 18:46 »
We grew a new one 'Krypton', which have settled well in a block of around 30 (the number of seeds in the packet is small).

They've grown very tall, which is great for a small plot, and when harvested you can use nearly a couple of ft of veg, which can't be bad!

As for size, the smallest is around 3/4" and the largest 1.5", but the length cancels out the width, as we like some of the green showing as well as the white underground!

I actually thought they were a late leek, but have read elsewhere that they aren't, but they're standing well so I'm very happy!

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 06:15 »
We've tried various types over the years but Blue Solaise always do well for us.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 07:20 »
We grew a new one 'Krypton', which have settled well in a block of around 30 (the number of seeds in the packet.
I've just had a look at these and they sound ideal.

We've tried various types over the years but Blue Solaise always do well for us.
This variety caught my eye a few weeks back when I was looking so I think I'll opt for these and Krypton.
Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 07:21 by AndyRVTR »

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 10:30 »
a friend of ours has lovely leeks thick shafts good colour basically a perfect leek the variety he growing porbella [Kings] a much bigger leek than ours I have to say so how do you do it Stanley?

our friend Gill said he sows his leek seed early but I've got the feeling his ground has something to do with it as well because its excellent growing ground nice black soil where our allotments is a tad on the heavy side and despite putting plenty of manure on the raised beds the leeks are not that big

we planted two leek varieties Porbella and Winter Giant 3 Porbella in 1 and Winter Giant 3 in another both grew about the same nothing to shout home about so I'm going to sow my leek seed much earlier next season and see if that makes any difference but as said it could be just down to the season for some :dry:

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 14:34 »
Another vote for Bleu de Solaise.  I have had a lot of success over several years with these.  They stand very well over winter.

I tried Musselburgh this year and got some lovely fat leeks and some spindly thin ones.  Quite a few bolted.  I put it down to the weather too.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 15:47 »
Mine are Musselburgh also, biggest is probably about 1.25 inch, rest an inch maybe. started off in late Feb in deep tray as advised on here, planted out when they were less than pencil thickness as they didn't seem to be getting there. My plot neighbours leeks are huge, he said the ground was heavily manured previously, maybe thats it?

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 08:10 »
When we used to grow about 240 leeks on 'The Patch', we fed them every weekend witha mixture of 6x infused in water and added to nettle tea and comfrey tea, and the leeks just loved that!

Because it stays in the folds, you'd think that they'd turn out brown, but that was never the case thank goodness!

The leeks got to about 2" diameter - they were 'Blauwgroene Bandit' and were fabulous for winter! I just couldn't get the seed this year! (We like our small local GC as they're friends, so don't buy online any more)!

jambop

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 10:15 »

I grow leeks bought from the market which are Bleu Solaise they usually do very well and have done again this year. I think that will all non F1 you will get a bit of variation in the growth of some vegs.

sebsands

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 22:51 »
There`s a growing problem with the leek moth moving northward throughout the country....this stunts the growth.
https://www.growveg.co.uk/pests/uk-and-europe/allium-leaf-miner/

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 14:31 »
A late friend of mine was a retired farmer, His advice was fertiliser with a very high nitrogen content. I suppose lawn fertiliser without the weed-killer and moss-killer content would fit the bill

Longshanks

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 09:47 »
I, too, have quite a lot of pencil thin leeks still out there. Should I just leave them or have they done as much as they going to? I've also had quite a number of decent leeks. All same make, if only I knew what.

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 12:58 »
I started my Tornado leeks off in mid-March which is earlier than I usually do (my enthusiasm with a new garden) and they took ages until they were ok to pot on and I gave them a liquid feed with added seaweed. Even so, when I planted them out they weren't pencil-size as normal. We tried one the other week and it wasn't as tasty as usual. :(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Leeks

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 20:12
by kezlou
xx
Leeks

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 12:37
by Sharonx
xx
Leeks

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 18:37
by sunshineband
xx
What can I do about my leeks

Started by Rach76 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2019, 18:41
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 52 queries.