Blossom end rot (BER) resistant paste tomatoes?

• 9 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Blossom end rot (BER) resistant paste tomatoes?
« on: June 25, 2021, 00:08 »
This year I am growing 3 tomato varieties, Better Boy, Gardener's Delight, and Roma.  All are getting exactly the same care, in the same bed. I have incorporated pulverized lime into the soil, and later supplied calcium nitrate to supply Ca needed to guard against BER.

The Better Boy and Gardener's Delight are doing well, but the majority of Roma fruits are getting BER. One Roma plant of five seems to be resisting BER, and those might be the only Roma's I get!

Last year I grew only Roma, cheap seed from a different company, those did spectacularly well (last years were in a completely different bed, all of this year's are in a brand new raised bed, new compost, on ground that has never raised any vegetables in at least 23 years).

Since my one Roma seems to have some resistance, I was wondering if there are any tomatoes in general that are BER-resistant? Or especially paste type tomatoes?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Blossom end rot (BER) resistant paste tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 09:12 »
Most plum tomatoes seem to get it, especially San Marzano and Roma IMO  ::) Rio Grand from Franchi seeds seemed to be the most resistant of the varieties I've tried. Otherwise try growing beef-steaks Reifs Red Heart was superb for me last year, with no sign of BER.
Here, it seems to be worse in very dry years - or in the greenhouse if I haven't watered regularly enough  ::) It's a regular water supply, I feel, that is most important, in order to avoid it. Is your new bed very free-draining compared to the old beds?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 10:46 »
Yes, the bed is quite free draining.  After reading up on the subject, I think you are correct Mum, the problem lies with water (uneven supply). For a month before the BER troubles, we had hot dry weather. I watered of course, the plants never wilted, looked great, and did set fruit, so I thought I was on top of it. Then we had the remnants of a tropical storm come through for 3 or 4 straight days. I started seeing a lot of  BER after that.

Thanks for the advice on varieties, I will see which of those might be available here.  I've also downloaded as many BER-related bulletins as I can find from agricultural extension offices in various US states. I did supply calcium early, as advised, but probably should have stopped supplying NPK fertilizer, to slow the foliar growth, which may be robbing CA from the fruit, causing BER.

Live and learn, right?

jambop

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 08:54 »
I have been growing both Roma and San Marzano for many years and I never have a problem with BER. I think that the thought that Calcium deficiency cases BER has never actually be proved but what I do think is important is to make sure the plants are watered regularly and that they never get dry roots. I think that water deficiency is more likely to case BER than a lack of Calcium. It is said the BER starts within the first few cells of the growth of a tomato and that making sure plants do not go short of water at this critical time is key to avoiding the problem. My neighbour had real problems last year because he never waters his tomatoes.

interesting paper depending on what interest you I suppose  :lol:
Why calcium deficiency is not the cause of blossom-end rot in tomato and pepper fruit – a reappraisal - ScienceDirect
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 10:56 by jambop »

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 18:25 »
Watering toms has been awkward this year, as we've had torrential rain, then very dry winds etc, and all this dilution of what nutrients there were in the pots (soil and compost), seems to be giving the plants a bit of a quandary!

I've been watering with a weak solution of the blue Miraclegrow, and will start the Tomorite soon, but they do seem to have responded to the blue stuff in the last few days!

John has a page on deficiencies somewhere here; I printed it off, and now can't find where it came from..:0~

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 17:42 »
This year I'm trying out Speckled Roman, Yellow Banana, Incas and Nova looking for earlier ripening than Roma and BER resistance.  The first two are cordons the latter two are bush, all are outdoors in 5 gallon containers.  The yellow banana seem to get a few of small (pin head) black blemishes but no proper BER but make an ugly looking yellow sauce, better with a bit of shop bought puree added.  The Speckled Roman look attractive but are taking a while to ripen and there is some BER.  The Incas and Nova have some BER but have provided a few good early tomatoes which i've never had with Roma, I doubt they will be as prolific as Roma but I often end end up with a mass of unripe, blighted fruit from Roma, which is no use to anyone!  I'm also trying self watering pots to try and reduce BER.

The jury is out.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 11:00 »
Hasbeans, I'll be curious to see which varieties do well for you. Keep us posted!

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 16:09 »
Sub, sorry for the tardy response, thinking of next year made me remember this thread.

The Yellow Banana and Nova were the only varieties that showed no signs of BER.  I did struggle to keep on top of watering last summer though.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 02:38 »
Sub, sorry for the tardy response, thinking of next year made me remember this thread.

The Yellow Banana and Nova were the only varieties that showed no signs of BER.  I did struggle to keep on top of watering last summer though.

Glad to see your response, and success with yellow banana and Nova!
I'll have to see if either of those varieties are available on this side of the pond.

On a tomato related theme, here it is January 3, and I have one potted, but entirely outdoor, tomato plant from 2021.  It has survived several light frost, has blossoms on it even today, and a couple pea-sized young fruits.  I finally brought it under some shelter inside an unheated storage room, due to cold expected tonight.  It will return outside in between freezing spells.

Variety?  I have no idea. It's a late-season purchase, marketed as a container slicing tomato. It is determinate, sprawling instead of upright.  If it continues to survive until spring, outdoors, I may take some seeds from it.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 09:46 »
Variety?  I have no idea. It's a late-season purchase, marketed as a container slicing tomato. It is determinate, sprawling instead of upright.  If it continues to survive until spring, outdoors, I may take some seeds from it.

Perhaps the additional foilage on a determinate creates warmer pockets of air to protect stems and roots?  Worth playing with if you can extend a tomato season.  Hopefully it's not an F1 hybrid.

xx
Blossom rot on Tomatoes

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 02:39
by Trillium
xx
blight resistant tomatoes

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 23:49
by cooperman
xx
help with blight resistant tomatoes

Started by manna on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 18:38
by manna
xx
Best blight resistant tomatoes?

Started by Potterer on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 23, 2023, 06:00
by Potterer

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 50 queries.