Leeks

• 54 Replies

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
Leeks
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:41 »
I sowed some leeks in pots at the weekend. They are currently in an unheated utility room (lots of light), which is about 10 degrees during the day at the moment. I've put some of them in a propagator (unheated) and covered the others in bubblewrap for extra protection as it gets quite cold overnight.

Is this OK or should I not bother with the extra protection?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:57 »
Their pretty hardy and the extra protection is not really needed. I grow mine in an unheated greenhouse in a cat litter tray ala DD. cheers mate  ;).
I've just finished harvesting last years lot 300+ leeks. So as you see hardy old things  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 13:33 »
My leeks have been in a large pot in an unheated greenhouse for the last 4 weeks. They're just starting to come up now. Leeks are very hardy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 14:30 »
There are several tales on here of compost being frozen solid, but the leek seeds still eventually germinating.

Of course they take a little longer!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 15:01 »
You're right DD. The pot my leeks are in froze solid last week. It's not bothered them too much as they're coming up now.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 15:11 »
They are wonderful things leeks. You just have to be a little bit patient with them...... and that's the hard bit in my case.  :blink:

My 4 rows of 100 are almost gone :( and now I am watching peering at the seed tray waiting for the replacements to appear. Cold greenhouse for mine too... I just wish they'd put in an appearance soon.

But... the large pot full in the heated conservatory are on their way.... signs of green shoots :happy: so the others shouldn't be too far behind even if I'm late with them this year.

Patience is a virture....  ;)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 15:16 »
I germinate mine in the kitchen (because I can, and it does speed things up) but I've now got the problem that it's so much colder than expected, even in the greenhouse, and they need to go somewhere cooler now!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 15:37 »
Well, as mine always go in after the early spuds - and they're going to be later this year because of the weather............................
I'm not at all worried that my leeks are still in their seed packets  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 15:43 »
Well, as mine always go in after the early spuds - and they're going to be later this year because of the weather............................

I'm delighted to hear that...... more grey hairs saved   :lol:........ I was beginning to get the fidgets that mine were late up (the leeks...not the grey hair). Thank you.  :happy:

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 16:13 »

Mine too - and I've just realised that I've ran out of the 'trial' variety from DT Browns I used very successfully last year has gone missing, so need to order some more!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 17:17 »
Mine are in an unheated greenhouse and are sprouting nicely - 2 inches high now :happy:

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 17:27 »
I just sown mine not half hour ago, three different types each in big 9" pots in seed compost (not sure that was the right compost tho) ive sown Giant Bulgarian, Long De Mezieres and Mussleboroughs.

Aint got no room in the house so they will go in my shoddy aldi coldframe outside to germinate. (fingers crossed)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 17:35 »
The reason I like to get mine started early is that I'm still a little traumatised by my early efforts to get them to grow big enough to plant out in time, although we did have a bit of fun describing our various experiences in this thread:  :lol:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57715.msg678272#msg678272

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 05:32 »
Still got about thirty, heeled in so we can grab them if the ground freezes again.

The best thing about leeks, is that they are a great substitute for onions or shallots, and a couple of years ago, during the dry summer (what!) when the onions dried up, they were a godsend!

We've got over a tray and a half already sown - they usually take a bit of time to get going anyway!

shed head

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00 »
is it ok to leave leeks in a coldframe before they have germinated?

xx
leeks

Started by ron on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2007, 08:42
by Rob the rake
xx
leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 06:53
by Growster...
xx
leeks

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2022, 11:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Leeks

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 22:30
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 34 queries.