Wire mesh for a run

• 7 Replies

Mr Chookles

Wire mesh for a run
« on: August 27, 2008, 22:50 »
Having built my run I am now reading conflicting reports on what size mesh I should put on it  :?: I have covered the sides with 50mm hex mesh but have read somewhere else that 25mm is the biggest you should use,can anyone confirm what I should be putting on it,Thanks
Les T

Jesus !!!!!! they can fly.........

poultrygeist

Wire mesh for a run
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 23:27 »
Hi Mr C.

If you want it to be fox proof, you should use welded mesh rather than hex 'chicken wire'. The minimum thickness is 19g/1mm but if you use 2"/50mm mesh size, it won't be rat-proof, though I don't know of any other reason not to.

25x13mm makes it nominally rat proof, though mice will get through and small rats.

Rob 8)

Mr Chookles

Wire mesh for a run
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 23:55 »
Thanks Rob,I can get weldmesh in Galv form or self colour quite easy (Engineering shop manager) but thought is was a tad OT but you live and learn  :wink: ,got a job coming in next week that requires 1/2 by 1/2 galv mesh thats 1 mm thick,me thinks I may "over order" slightly 8)  but will there be any problem "double meshing" over my existing 50mm stuff

Vember

Wire mesh for a run
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 09:04 »
I would have thought the more wire the better to keep all the nasties at bay  :lol:

I have used weld mesh on all my external fences you can't beat it, i have heard that rats can bite through basic "chicken wire"  :shock:

Welcome to the Hen House :D

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

Wire mesh for a run
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:08 »
You lucky, lucky,.....person, you.  :shock:

The more the merrier. You also want to look at burying abotu 6-12" of it to stop burrowing. We folded the bottom 9" to form a skirt and slabbed over but the mice can obviously just tunnel underneath this. If I'd buried it, they'd have had a harder job.  :?

It does seem OTT and doesn't look attractive, but when you read the sad stories on here from people who've had fox visits, it pays off. You also want to be looking at about 5 or 6' high with an outward overhang and, preferably, a plastic roof to keep the rain off. When the ground gets wet, it'll turn into a giant fermentation vat and start to stink. If kept dry, with softwood  bark chippings down, it shouldn't be unpleasant.  :)

Rob 8)

Foxy

Wire mesh for a run
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 13:08 »
Welcome to the henhouse Mr Chookles :lol:  :lol:
Not sure I've tried "Cripple Cock" do love a nice glass of homemade scrumpy! :wink:  :lol:

Mr Chookles

Wire mesh for a run
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 13:05 »
Cripple Cock is the future,Ive tasted it  :lol:  :lol: get a few mini barrels of it every year when we are in Padstow  8)

I sank a 4" galvanized angle into the ground on three sides of the run (I know it should be 6" but it was FOC  :lol: ) and attached the run frame to that,then I have the back of the run hard up against the garden fence with the back half of the run lid in ply and the front half in mesh but hinged so I can get to the water and feeder,I may at sometime fill in the mesh lid to make the whole of the lid covered,the coop is slightly elevated at one end of the run (about 18") on a paved plateau,I have also lifted the coop off the floor by 5" on some 4" steel tube "stilts",the pop hole opens out onto a galvanized sheet and wire mesh fun house style ramp  :lol: with the customery 20mm square battons on the ply ramp base for the girls to get some purchase on if things get a little slippy  :tongue2: If I can work out how to post pictures I will do so those in the know can see if the set up is ok

garddwr

Wire mesh for a run
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 16:34 »
I used the high fences they use to protect building sites for my run.Not the most pleaseant looking thing but does the job and stops the fox

xx
wire mesh

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 14:06
by woodburner
xx
Wire Mesh

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 14:07
by North Devon Dumpling
xx
wire mesh supplier

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 23:43
by SUTTY1
xx
wire mesh skirts to keep out fox

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 08:45
by Sassy

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 38 queries.