Help I have 19lb of damsons

• 24 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Help I have 19lb of damsons
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 21:26 »
It's a nightmare stoning them though  :blink:

Only had 4 lb of (admittedly rather ripe) plums to deal with - discovered you can't adopt the avocado approach of slice and twist  :wub:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Beetroot queen

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 22:19 »
The last of the damsons went into a crumble, yummy and I hate crumble usually

Friend texted me to say she will drop of another carrier bag at the end of the week  :blink:

Bring on the recipes, may have to pop to the book shop and buy Val's book (hubby can treat me)  :blush:

OtheD

• Notes and Recipes
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 20:14 »
I also am on the verge of dealing with a bumper crop of damsons--we live now in an old house with a very active orchard which has been neglected for some time.  I was going to make damson cheese--a German friend of mine told me that if you crack some of the stones and add to the boiling part of the process, they impart a nice flavour.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Not going to poison us, am I?

janette

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 21:10 »
try damson wine 4lb to the gallon and a cinnomen stick (optional} my mum alway cracked some of the stones and put in plum jam gives an almondy taste I expect it works the same with damsons. I have just dealt with 38lb ,wine crumble and frozen , now I'm dealing with  the pears!!!

OtheD

• Notes and Recipes
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 08:02 »
You are a damson hero!  I am going to guess that because we are in northern Scotland that's why ours are just ripening now--it's been raining cats and dogs so they're sure to be well watered...
Damson wine sounds like a very nice idea--and I have to say, crumble appeals mightily...we are also expecting a bumper crop of apples so perhaps it will be cider, wine, and a little pudding?

Thanks for the tip!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 09:51 »
Some recipes for damsons http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/category/fruit-recipe/damsons-recipe/. And, yes, do crack open a few stones and add the kernels to the boiling process.
Val
Recipes Galore!

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 11:08 »
Has anyone with all these damsons got any tips for getting the stones out of jam?  I made half quantities of the damson jam from Val & John's book (thank you!) at the weekend, and it drove me bananas.  I thought I'd just be able to skim most of them off the top but they're artful little so-and-sos and they hide and run away!  I ended up wasting a good saucerful of jam, and I still managed to miss loads.

madcat

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 11:32 »
I also am on the verge of dealing with a bumper crop of damsons--we live now in an old house with a very active orchard which has been neglected for some time.  I was going to make damson cheese--a German friend of mine told me that if you crack some of the stones and add to the boiling part of the process, they impart a nice flavour.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Not going to poison us, am I?

Just add the kernels from the stones, they add a nice almondy flavour.  Bit of a pain though, cracking the tiny stones.  You might get sick of cracking them before you do enough to make a difference!   :D  (I add the kernals of peach stones to peach jam for the same reason - but at least they are big enough to bother!)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Scribbler

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 15:34 »
Strongly recommend you try damson gin. Basic recipe is best, just damsons, gin and sugar.

Not one I saw in an old WI recipe book last night that had HALF A GALLON OF SHERRY, HALF A GALLON OF GIN AND TWO QUARTS OF SLOES.... :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :wacko:

And when you finally decant the damson gin, you can eat the damsons as they are. Or mix them up with chocolate. Great.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

OtheD

• Notes and Recipes
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 22:50 »
Thanks all for the advice, especially on the stone front.  Will let you know how it turns out.  Also thanks for the link to the damson recipe bonanza--there are as many things to do with them, it seems, as I have damsons!  (Gin, who knew!)
Ta

xx
DAMSONS. WHAT CAN I DO WITH THEM ?

Started by Eddie Spud on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 16:05
by Tim Munslow
xx
Very soft damsons!

Started by Richardm on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 21:39
by Trillium
question
freezing damsons

Started by uppsiedaisy57 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 21:22
by orchardlady
xx
Bottled damsons going mouldy?

Started by allotmentann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 10:42
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 41 queries.