brussel sprouts

• 19 Replies

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
brussel sprouts
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:20 »
Hi,

I was meaning to grow these but the tall plant was putting me off due to high winds but i thought what the heck first time give it a try. I have bought a pack fo seeds which i think can be planted about march april (will check), are there any tips anyone can give that would get best results or is it just plant in a tray and plant outside?

can they manage the winds pretty well or do they need some meaty bamboo sticks to hold them up?

thanks,
PG

savbo

Re: brussel sprouts
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:39 »
I'll be making a cage to grow my sprouts in (1st time this year) so I can net them from birds and also tie in some supports. They apparently need really firm soil cos wind rock encourages them to 'blow' - have loose leafy sprouts rather than nice tight buttons

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:09 »
i grew them for the first time last year and found they pushed my netting up, so this year i have gone for  brussels half tall from kings, dont grow as high
first year grower

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:29 »
To grow them, I put one seed per cell in a seed tray insert. (20 to a half tray).

Start off in unheated greenhouse. Trasnplant into 3" pots when they got their first true leaves. Once established, hardened off & then planted out when about 6" tall.

Firm soil is very important as has been mentioned. I actually run a lawn roller over mine, (not if soggy).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 13:24 »
I cover mine with Scaffolders Debris netting to stop the Cabbage White Butterfly decimating the leaves :( and I put a cane in to tie the plants to when I plant them (so as not to damage the roots later) so that they don't rock about in the wind.

I read somewhere that the roots have very fine hairs on them which, if disturbed, upset :) the plant (and tend to mean that the spouts "open" before they have made a nice "button".)  So I firm the soil, and tie them to a cane.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 15:03 »
thanks all,

How tall do they actually grow?  :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 15:07 »
Depends on the variety, it should say on the packet.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 16:34 »
I live in a very windy area and I use hedging stakes hammered into the ground; then I plant my seedlings from the greenhouse against them, let them grow a bit, tie them to the stake,  and keep a check as to when they need re-tying further up the stake - if you don't do this, they will bend over and then are hard to re-tie. I have used netting but now I don't - I prefer to squash the caterpillars and then let the birds eat the creepy-crawlies that get on them in autumn which netting prevents them doing.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 20:56 »
mine were around 3ft this year

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 13:56 »
got bosworth F1 variety. Anyone have any experience of growing this variety?

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 14:02 »
i firmed mine in and covered with a cage of debris netting however the wind still got them and they blew so this year i will make a wind jam and than cage them i take solace that they grew tall and strong and had masses of sprouts but the they just blew  >:(

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 15:40 »
my sprouts where just covered with whitefly whch just sucked the life out of the leaves but the buttons were ok to eat until i went to pick the last 5 plants and all the sprouts had turned brown this weekend. I did cover with debris netting too!It won't stop me from growing again this year though :)

JohnB47

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 17:07 »
Sorry, no experience of growing bosworth but one tip from me - if you have pigeons anywhere near your plot, you MUST cover the plants immediately when you transplant them out.

Otherwise you might as well put up a big sign in pigeon english saying - "here hungry pigeons - tuck into this lot, I don't mind". Believe me, 24 hours uncovered and they're gone!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 17:12 by DD. »

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 20:27 »
there were 13 hungry pigeons in the trees behind my shed the other day. My brasiccas are always netted...and a lot of other plants too!

SkipRat

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 22:12 »
I start my seeds off in root trainers in an unheated G/H around begining of April, when they reach 5/6 inches they are hardened off in a coldframe then planted out in reasonably firm ground that has been dressed with growmore. Then the most important step in my opinion is that i stake each plant when around a foot high as this helps prevent wind rock that can cause the sprouts to blow. I have used this method for the last 5 years and my sprouts have been perfect every year
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

xx
Brussel Sprouts

Started by bluelou on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 15:31
by bluelou
xx
Brussel Sprouts

Started by brahma1965 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 16:21
by gobs
xx
Brussel Sprouts

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 12:49
by Debz
xx
brussel sprouts

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 19:55
by loobs61

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 38 queries.