New allotment

• 12 Replies

lydia56

New allotment
« on: September 11, 2010, 15:56 »
Hi Iam a newbie here and from north yorkshire.I have just got my 1st allotment, phew!it is covered in long dead grasses and weeds, what should i do before i get in the boys toys of cultivators (not that i know which i should use!)
all advice welcome

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
Re: New allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 16:16 »
Hiya lydia56 ... welcome to the forums  :)

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 16:39 »
welcome  :D

MitchGriffin

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 17:10 »
Hi Lydia,welcome to the world of allotments,I to am a newbie to the allotment. When I got mine it was a virgin plot!!!,but  like you lots of long dead grass and weeds.As well as dead motorcycle parts breeze blocks, tar,11pence and very large boulders.But don`t be put off !!!.That was  about two month ago just over I have had spuds, aubergines and I have cabbage and Brussels (both of which were transplanted from my back yard) growing away.I found out regrettably from one of our fellow plot holders,to hand dig a bit at a time before using any thing such as a Rotavator.Poor chap had hires his and broke some tines so he had a small bill.Another plot holder has put heavy black plastic down to kill of the weeds.Hope these may help.Above all have fun!!!! :D,try lots of things out and see what works for you.take care enjoy.Kind regards Mitch Griffin.

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 20:00 »
Hello and wecome to the the site :D

Nige2Plots

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 20:15 »
Hello and welcome to the site that has the lot! Nige2plots.

JamPan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 20:44 »
*waves from North Nottinghamshire*

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:54 »
Welcome to the site  :D

Whereabouts in N Yorks are you?  Always happy to see another 'local'  ;)  It would help if you could put your general location in your profile so we can tailor advice to your locality.

I'm going to move your post over to Grow Your Own for more replies to your question.

Also have a look at this page, which includes links to articles on planning and clearing your plot.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lydia56

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 14:33 »
Hi Lydia,welcome to the world of allotments,I to am a newbie to the allotment. When I got mine it was a virgin plot!!!,but  like you lots of long dead grass and weeds.As well as dead motorcycle parts breeze blocks, tar,11pence and very large boulders.But don`t be put off !!!.That was  about two month ago just over I have had spuds, aubergines and I have cabbage and Brussels (both of which were transplanted from my back yard) growing away.I found out regrettably from one of our fellow plot holders,to hand dig a bit at a time before using any thing such as a Rotavator.Poor chap had hires his and broke some tines so he had a small bill.Another plot holder has put heavy black plastic down to kill of the weeds.Hope these may help.Above all have fun!!!! :D,try lots of things out and see what works for you.take care enjoy.Kind regards Mitch Griffin.

Welcome to the site  :D

Whereabouts in N Yorks are you?  Always happy to see another 'local'  ;)  It would help if you could put your general location in your profile so we can tailor advice to your locality.

I'm going to move your post over to Grow Your Own for more replies to your question.

Also have a look at this page, which includes links to articles on planning and clearing your plot.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php

Hi Iam a newbie here and from north yorkshire.I have just got my 1st allotment, phew!it is covered in long dead grasses and weeds, what should i do before i get in the boys toys of cultivators (not that i know which i should use!)
all advice welcome
Hi
Thankyou all for welcome, also all the advice so sorely needed!
We intend to visit the allotment 3 times a week to do the clearing and digging b4 rotavating and hoefully to just complete half ready for spring sowing.we done lots of veggies b4 but only in small gardens,so really looking forward to planting large amounts of potatoes,sweetcorn and onions, the theory being that A, they wont get stolen! and B should take care of themselves alot more than delicate plants that need watering evry day!lol

(edited to show quotes properly)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 15:55 by Yorkie »

Sue33

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 14:41 »

hello, welcome to the message boards, better check just what weeds you have before rotovating, if you've got some of the nasty ones like marestail the last thing you want to do is rotovate, have a chat with some of the other plotholders for advice and help with identifying the weeds.  Good luck  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 20:38 »
Hi there and welcome. Good time in the year to start to clear your plot, so you will all ready to go come the spring  :) Three times a week sounds a good plan, and will mean you can make a real dent in those weeds  :D

If you get any ground cleared soon, you will be able to plant autumn onion sets and garlic, remember  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Totty

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 21:30 »
Hi, welcome to the allotment world. We got our plot this year, it was a virgin plot but luckily we were able to have the top couple of inches of weeds and grass removed, i then dug it over bit by bit. I think you have two choices, firstly have a go at it a couple of times a week clear it by hand gradually. Or you could cover it with black plastic for a couple of months, kill off some of those weeds, then pull the remainder up. Good luck!

Togalosh

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 22:21 »
Hi,

If you like it & are good at it then digging the weeds out 1 by 1, picking out all the roots & bits of root is good (using thick black plastic sheeting to soften things up before hand). I did this on the first 1/2 plot & I got it done much faster than I expected....but if you have a big, thick, dense, jungle of brambles & all manner of tough stuff to clear then life may be too short to be so eco friendly.

This is what I'm faced with on my second plot & so sadly I've got little choice but to get out the agent orange & nuke the place...otherwise it'll never be productive- it's been 15 years already..I must need my head looking at.

I've a friend in Manchester - her site has it's own petrol powered hand plough & that works a treat on fallow land & doesn't multiply the weeds... she's so lucky ! If you can get your hands on one of these then your all set - you'll need strong arms & shoulders mind.

Happy growing.

xx
allotment law

Started by woozie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 19:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
What should I be looking for in an allotment?

Started by rosepetals on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 11:04
by Rob the rake
xx
First allotment

Started by davel149 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 21:46
by mrswashi
xx
new allotment

Started by lucia on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 17:11
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 35 queries.