What should I be looking for in an allotment?

• 13 Replies

rosepetals

« on: February 03, 2008, 17:00 »
Apart from availability, of course!

We have decided to take the plunge and get a plot to start working on.  There are a few sites near us - I've not established how many of them might have free plots and/or wait lists, but in the dream situation that we have several to choose from, what do we need to consider in making a choice (or even choosing which wait lists to go on!)

I'm a complete novice - grown veg in pots on my patio, but that's it!  So please don't worry about offending me by stating the obvious, I really don't have a clue!

Incidentally, 'we' is my myself, my partner. our 18m old, and potentially a local friend and her 18m old (sharing the plot, work and spoils).

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 17:01 »
muds a good thing to have there  :wink:

Sally A

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 17:03 »
Trust you to find her first Babe, we know your'e an expert in mud :wink:

I'd go for the nearest and have a chat with the existing plotholders to make sure it's a fertile, non vandalised site.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 17:04 »
COnsidering you have two young 'uns I'd say choose one that you can get to easilly.

Don't be put off by eye high weeds - these can be cut down easilly enough.  Nowerdays with the availability of plots I'd say just go for one thats nearby, regardless of its condition (unless of course you are offered a choice and one is better kept than another!).

Vandalism and local youfs are also a consideration - there's no point in taking on a plot that is vandalised often if you have anything that you want to store down there.

If you want to keep chickens, ducks, geese etc then you should ask if these are allowed before forking out for their equipment too.

Considering you have young kids, perhaps see if there's one with a fence around it to keep them in whilst your back is turned.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!  you've come to the right place for lots of chat, help and advice!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 17:06 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
Trust you to find her first Babe, we know your'e an expert in mud :wink:

I'd go for the nearest and have a chat with the existing plotholders to make sure it's a fertile, non vandalised site.

thats nothing, did you know that you can get mud in bags from garden centres  :roll:  bit expensive seeing as though ive got a garden full of the stuff for free :wink:

rosepetals

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 17:09 »
Aye, we have an abundance of mud in Wales so I'm off to a flying start!

Thanks so much.  How much is soil likely to vary from plot to plot, is it worth looking at that?  The plots are all 2-3 miles from home (but we drive) and about a mile from each other in a triangular fashion, so I don't know how much variation we'll find between the three.  

hadn't even thought of the vandalism issue, but it's pretty quiet and rural-ish by us, so hopefully not too much of a bother.

I am already excitedly perusing the realseeds website!

rosepetals

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 17:12 »
By the way, babe, I REALLY like your chicken!

fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 17:27 »
Choose a site with an active but not overbearing committee.
At our site our committee leave people alone to get on with growing things and only step in when a plotter doesn't stick to their tenancy agreement. Before I took my current plot on I was offered a plot on a private site that had more rules than you could shake a stick at. I was actually interviewed by a committee member, when I said that I found so many rules and regs overbearing she nearly fell over gasping for air. Examples of the rules were, only Committee members were allowed sheds and greenhouse (I kid you not). Before cutting back any brambles around my plot I would have to get permission from the Committee, each plotter had to give up some time each month to maintain access roads and the site storage sheds. The place was unbelievable right out of the Stepford wife's. I must say the whole site looked immaculate but it wasn't for me.

A shed and and greenhouse for me are essential. Don't be overawed by weeds what ever they are you can get rid of them, its rubbish strewn about that needs to be avoided.

If possible be Organic it is surprisingly easy to do, or at least I am finding it that way. Just accept that by being Organic you will lose part of your crop to slugs, snails etc etc, so just grow more than you think you will need.

My mantra is Manure, Digging, Weeding and keep doing a bit every week.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Clampit

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 18:08 »
I find the most useful thing on my allotment is the tap which is located at the end of my plot. The water supply is availiable all year round. My previous allotment only had a water supply from May to October which was a bit of a pain when seedlings were coming up and we had a dry spring. I still try to catch as much rain water as possible though and use the tap water sparingly. :wink:

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
Re: What should I be looking for in an allotment?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 19:51 »
Quote from: "rosepetals"
Apart from availability, of course!

We have decided to take the plunge and get a plot to start working on.  There are a few sites near us - I've not established how many of them might have free plots and/or wait lists, but in the dream situation that we have several to choose from, what do we need to consider in making a choice (or even choosing which wait lists to go on!)

I'm a complete novice - grown veg in pots on my patio, but that's it!  So please don't worry about offending me by stating the obvious, I really don't have a clue!

Incidentally, 'we' is my myself, my partner. our 18m old, and potentially a local friend and her 18m old (sharing the plot, work and spoils).

snap join the club ,i have only grew  veg in pots in my garden too,
we took on out plot this week,and started clearing a bit on saturday,check out my post ,,
"new allotment holder any tips please ,i have put some pics on of my messy plot,,,
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

crowndale

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 08:20 »
Water is a real boon.  Ours is only on from april to november as far as I can tell but its not a real problem in winter.  Water butts can ease the problem anyway, well, they can if you're allowed greenhouses and sheds!  I would also check if you are actually allowed to fence off the plot for small people some sites don't allow it most I think probably do.  I am in the process of erecting a fence and gating off the greenhouse as I am about to receive a baby via the SS, H&S and all that.  can't wait for the soil to dry up a bit and get back to clearing the plot, (sigh, wanders off dreaming about forks spades and aching backs!)
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

brucesgirl

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 08:34 »
The most useful thing on our site is that the manager is a local councillor!!

The council keeps the grass on the perimeters mowed, the surrounding trees are being lopped today to stop them overshadowing us, and the shreddings will be left for us all to share.

He's a real treasure!
 :D

noshed

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 09:46 »
water, manure, skip and friendly neighbours
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Rob the rake

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:04 »
Quote from: "babe"
muds a good thing to have there  :wink:

Show us a pic of yer mud patch then, Babe. :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

xx
New Allotment

Started by jeffers71 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 16:55
by jono2507
xx
our allotment last may

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:44
by mashauk
xx
new allotment

Started by mr dave on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2006, 12:01
by mr dave
xx
new allotment

Started by lucia on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 17:11
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 35 queries.