Can I say the word Capsicums

• 4 Replies

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Can I say the word Capsicums
« on: June 23, 2012, 19:14 »
Ok here goes. I have two capsicum plants in my greenhouse and they are doing well. They are about 18 inches tall, very green and lush. However they are very bushy and covered in buds and I worry that I will end up with lots of tiny tough fruits that come to nothing. I certainly can't see me getting big fat capsicums like I would buy in the shops.

So should I be pruning the plants and getting rid of some leaves and buds to give a select few a good chance of becoming large capsicums?
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Can I say the word Capsicums
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 19:15 »
I would wait and see how many fruit set, once the flowers open, before you think of thinning them out  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 19:17 »
In my experience, they start to drop flowers themselves, once they are carrying enough fruit ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:46 »
They keep going for ages as well.  It was really late last year when I finished harvesting peppers and chillies.  Somehow cooler nights at the end of summer or beginning of autumn don't seem to bother them like they do early on  :)

Bushy plants are good as they form the most flowers that way.  As the others say, a lot of these drop without coming to anything on peppers.  Chillies seem less prone to this. I have gone a bit mad on chillies this year so may be starting a tabasco factory later on in the summer with any luck  ;)  :lol:

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 22:50 »
Thanks for the help with this.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 37 queries.