Late flowers

• 7 Replies

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Late flowers
« on: June 19, 2012, 19:47 »
I am having my front garden landcaped in about 5 weeks and I would like to look into the possibility of growing some flower seeds to fill 2 flower beds once the work is done.

My front garden is SW facing so gets quite a lot of sun, I will have a border under the front window so thinking about some taller flowers at the back and some smaller ones in front of it.

I am also having a round bed in the middle of the front garden so would like to have 3 or 4 different flower types and colours in that.

The thing is am I to late to grow flowers from seed for a August onward show of flowers and if not what would you suggest what seeds I buy.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Late flowers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 19:53 »
Wallflowers are always good for an early show, a long show, or more than one in the year. I believe there are many more possibilities, but others can give their thoughts. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 21:25 »
You could sow some pansies they will flower on through the winter if dead headed and fed :)

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 22:31 »
I was looking at winter pansies tonight and they would be one of the types of flower I would put in but also fancy something different to break it up a bit.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 21:42 »
I think you probably are too late to be getting flowers in a few weeks' time from a seed sowing now.

Are you after permanent plantings, or annuals?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 22:56 »
I'm just after annuals. I have a plan mapped out for next year using some less common and very colourful patterns but as the landscaping is being done in the next few weeks I thought it might be nice to get something planted for a late flush of colour instead of blank beds.

To be honest I did think I would be to late and that any bedding plants would be gone by then.
I will just have to put some winter pansies in for an early display next year and start my summer flowers off in Feb March indoors next year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 18:13 »
You will still find bedding plants for sale in the sheds, although that may not be what you're after

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 15:23 »
Have a look at Jersey Plants Direct for ideas as to autumn/winter/spring plants - they are very good value and quality plants.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Late flowers

Started by tosca100 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 10:24
by Thrift
xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 22:40
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
cut flowers.

Started by Madame Cholet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 18:52
by Madame Cholet
xx
Bay flowers

Started by Spana on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 19:16
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 30 queries.