Okay, I know I'm hard to please ....

• 6 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Okay, I know I'm hard to please ....
« on: May 22, 2012, 23:08 »
but having complained for weeks that it was too cold for my plants, I'm now really worried that it's too hot for them in my tunnel. It's my first full year with the tunnel, and it's astounding how hot it can get in there on a sunny day. Today I had the door open and all the vents down the sides were wide open too, but the thermometer was still reading 41 degrees. Surprisingly, the plants that wilted most visibly were the heat loving aubergines. The lettuce and radish and peas and all the cold loving stuff were completely unfazed.

What on earth do you do about getting the temperature down a bit, if opening everything isn't enough to do it?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Okay, I know I'm hard to please ....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 18:43 »
I put sheets of newspaper on my plants. It can protect them from hot sun or slight frost.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 19:04 »

And at what age do you recommend teaching your plants to read?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 19:56 »
You know plants can't read.........they just like to look at the pictures.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 20:05 »
Don't know how much good it does them when they get to page 3 but as far as I know most plants choose to be Sun readers at this time of year (I have no idea how they cope with having been ordered via Mail order!)  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jrko

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:34 »
you'll be needing some shading maybe?  can you get poly-shades?  Also damping down one or twice a day will help.

If you have mains power access you can get a fan to move more air around.  If not a couple of 12v batteries charged from a solar panel will run a couple of car radiator fans quite easily.  There are also these great little clip on fans with built in solar panels from china, for about £2 each on 'that auction website'.  A few quids worth of them will get the air moving quite well and they just run & run when the sun shines

This all depends on how big your tunnel is though.  Whats the size?
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 19:17 »
You know plants can't read.........they just like to look at the pictures.

They like listening to The Archers on the radio too. :D

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 36 queries.