Wire netting underneath the run or not ?

• 3 Replies

Suz

Wire netting underneath the run or not ?
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:33 »
I have been offered a run and house that was used for rabbits or guinea pigs. I have yet to see it but I think it is an ark type, apparently with wire netting on the bottom of the run. Is this suitable for chickens or will they need direct access to the grass in the run to scratch about ?
I haven't kept chickens before.
Thanks for any advice
Suz

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Wire netting underneath the run or not ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:39 »
chickens need to scratch the ground so you would be best removing the wire netting from underneath the ark.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:14 »
In that situation, I'd say take it out because chickens love to dig.  Big Time!  And mesh would stop all the fun.

However, I think next time I build a run, I might dig down and bury a layer of mesh (at least 30 cms down) because it would make the place rat proof as well as fox proof.

Suz

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:34 »
Thanks for replies. I was hoping that underneath netting would prevent rat and fox problems. So I guess I need to rethink and make some netting skirt affair that could be pegged down. I am intending that it is a mobile home so the chickens get fresh grass to play on and I get my grass cut. Next door has a fixed run and its a mud bath when it rains, the rats have also burrowed in and help themselves to the corn yuk
Has anyone experience of a mobile run ? There are some beautiful ones for sale if you've got £500 spare but I'd prefer something recycled if poss. But a bit concerned it might be heavy and a bit of a pain to move it weekly. Your thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
S

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 36 queries.