when can chicks go outside

• 4 Replies

jackie

when can chicks go outside
« on: May 13, 2010, 16:42 »
a friend of mine has 4 chicks that were born on april 9th. she has them indoors under a lamp and they are thriving. when should she take the lamp away and at what age can they go outside. i dont know the answers because i got my chooks point of lay. any advice would be welcome

TeaPots

Re: when can chicks go outside
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 16:56 »
reduce the heat gradually...the chix will peep loudly if they get cold, and huddle-up. I Raise the heat lamp a bit more from around 3 weeks as their little feathers grow. By 4 weeks, they are usually off heat but still indoors, and i put then them out on the lawn in a small run for an hour or 2 a day when it is warm. At 5-6 weeks I put them outside, and wean them onto growers pellets.

jackie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:25 »
thanks, ive passed this information on to my friend.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:45 »
I'd agree with Teapots.  In summer I take them off heat quicker than when it's colder.  I start raising the lamp as TP says after about three days and in about 3 weeks start turning the lamp off during the warmer parts of the day until you are only using it at night.  The key is the feathering.  Once they are reasonably well feathered, at this time of year, after about 4 and a half weeks, you can cut the heat complete and only use it if there's going to be a very cold night.
HF
Truth through science.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 13:03 »
reduce the heat gradually...the chix will peep loudly if they get cold, and huddle-up. I Raise the heat lamp a bit more from around 3 weeks as their little feathers grow. By 4 weeks, they are usually off heat but still indoors, and i put then them out on the lawn in a small run for an hour or 2 a day when it is warm. At 5-6 weeks I put them outside, and wean them onto growers pellets.
Ditto.
Mine are just over 4 weeks and they now spend several hours a day in a secure run. There is a covered area that acts as a bit of a green house and stays quite warm for them if they get chilly, or they can go into the coop. They love being outside, it's like a big adventure for them and the older girls get a chance to see them. I only put them under the lamp now at night.
Watch out for carrion birds such as crows who will swoop down and take them if they're not in a covered run.

xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 33 queries.