Frozen runner beans are rubbery

• 20 Replies

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
Re: Frozen runner beans are rubbery
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 19:21 »
I think it was in the preparing stage, I do Enormas, and have 2 bowls alongside the hob (with an extra frozen bowl or two in the freezer waiting to join the production line).

Rolling boil for 2 - 3 mins, dunked into a bowl of cold water to disperse the immediate heat, and then into a bowl of iced water.  Leave in the iced water as you pop the next lot in the boiling water.  Go back to the chilling beans, and then pile them all up in a colander.  I don't tend to freeze more than 2-3 people portions in one bag.

I agree, they are not the same as fresh, but frozen runners are better than no runners  ;)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 19:59 »
I have noticed that for some reason my french beans were more succesful than the runners :blink:
It is the first year I've had enough of these to freeze  - they were Cobra, and a few purple ones.
Have others found this as well? or was it just chance :D
Yes, I did freeze a few french beans - Cobra and Speedy (I really recommend Speedy - T&M I think) - got a free packet of seeds and they were fantastic so I will definitely grow them next year).  They froze really well so maybe the solution is to grow more of those and fewer runners next year.  The runners were Lady Di by the way.

madcat

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 20:08 »
And that shows there are as many right answers as there are cooks!!  :D  I was disappointed with freezing french beans (tendergreen and marconi); however short a time they were blanched , they came out over cooked.  The runners (scarlet emperor) were much more successful. 

I believe if you dont blanch, you dont kill the enzymes that stop the rot, just slow them down.  So if like Tode, you eat them fast, maybe it doesnt matter.  If it takes from the end of one season to the next to eat them, ... more debateable.  But I stand ready to be corrected by the more knowledgeable about food processing on this site!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 20:13 »
Yes, I am sure I read in a cookbook somewhere that it is okay not to blanch if you intend the eat the result within a couple of months.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 23:07 »
My Brian doesn't like frozen runner beans however I do them, so I usually cut them not diamond shapes and freeze them, then use them in stews and curries etc.  He never knows they are there then!!!!  :D

lacewing

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 08:09 »
I prepare my beans in exactly the same way as Jodi A, except I use a salad spinner to get most of the water out, then I lay then on a clean tea towel, gather both ends of the towl together to form a sousage shape, then shake the towel from side to side. the beans are then almost dry and will not stick together when frozen. Take's a bit of time but well worth the effort.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

xx
Frozen runner beans

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post November 18, 2012, 09:03
by madcat
xx
runner beans can they be frozen

Started by p.shaw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 22:26
by p.shaw
xx
Best way to store and cook beans from inside runner beans?

Started by bisgedyn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 21:35
by pigeonpie
xx
Are the beans in runner beans edible?

Started by DaveD64 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 21:50
by suziet88

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 28 queries.