cat's claws

• 27 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
cat's claws
« on: September 21, 2009, 19:06 »
One of our cats is sixteen years old and getting a bit frail. She doesn't go out as muc as she used to and her claws are getting a bit long. A couple of them click on the florr as she walks, and they get caught on threads in the cushions etc , when she then pulls at her feet trying to unhitch the offending claw.

Question -- if I clip them a bit with nail clippers, avoiding any coloured bit (like I used to do with our guinea pigs) would that be OK?

Advice appreciated please  -- she hates the vet and I'd like to avoid a stressful visit if I can
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

janet12000

Re: cat's claws
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 19:10 »
You can buy claw clippers quite cheaply from pet shops.
I have never used human nail clippers on animals but I suppose if you are careful it would work, although they may not be strong enough.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 19:11 »
We have some toenail jobbies that look quite tough  :unsure:

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 19:14 »
hi, i have the same problem with 1 of my cats who is 10, i have to trim her nails, i use nail clippers i use on my nails, she does now and then trim them sometimes herself, but you always know when they need doing, clip clip clip along the wooden flooring she comes..  ::)
zoe pattinson :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 19:19 »
hi, i have the same problem with 1 of my cats who is 10, i have to trim her nails, i use nail clippers i use on my nails, she does now and then trim them sometimes herself, but you always know when they need doing, clip clip clip along the wooden flooring she comes..  ::)

I had a funny vision then of your cat wielding nail clippers there for a moment  :D

Thank you for the advice though, newathis, it was helpful to know someone has done this so I shall be after sher later this evening. She sounds like a puppy walking through the kitchen right now  :lol: :lol:

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 19:29 »
i just nipped the ends of, as her nails are black, since i have put wood half way up my walls, all the cats including her have been useing the walls instead of their own posts,.  >:(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 19:32 »
Jess uses the side of the bathroom wall where there is a corner -- shredded the wall paper I can tell you  :(

When she is outside she uses the wooden clothes prop which is fine, but she now prefers to be inddors most of the time

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 19:48 »
hi, the thing with cats nails is they can grow very long on the drew claws, (i tend to forget these nails  :ohmy: ), she soon reminds me at night when she sleeps on my pillow,  :blush:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 19:49 »
I'll have a check  :wacko:

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 11:40 »
Jess uses the side of the bathroom wall where there is a corner -- shredded the wall paper I can tell you  :(

When she is outside she uses the wooden clothes prop which is fine, but she now prefers to be inddors most of the time

you've still got wall paper? we have 6 cats and no wall paper left up to cat scratching height >:(

janet12000

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 15:22 »
 :D
My 3 don't use the wallpaper thankfully but pretty much everywhere else....despite them having a huge and very fancy expensive scratching 'thing'. (which they have totally destroyed)
They joy of pets.  :)
The cats and dog wreck the house and the chickens and ducks wreck the garden.......wouldn't be without them though.  ::)

Rubellite

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 22:25 »
I've got no edges left on my carpets around the doors  :(
Can't shut a door in our house without one of the cats digging up the carpet to get in or out >:(  And what is it about pine furniture?  :blink: Let's all leap onto the just rewaxed piece of pine, skid and grip with our claws - yay - great game, Mum!!

Jellyhead

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 15:56 »
Blimey, I must be really lucky then as none of my 13 cats scratches the furniture. They may have a little go but when you ssh them gently they stop :ohmy: I have a scratch post out on the terrace and whenever I have had kitties doh, what do I mean whenever, I ALWAYS have kitties (just rescued another one) if they scratch furniture I put them on the scratch post ;) I do admit that in the nice weather most of them dont come in the house but now its getting cold they come in more.
As for nail clipping, I had to do Tillys nails quite a bit cos she couldnt retract them in the end and they flippin hurt when she got them out ::)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 22:16 »
Thirteen!!

How do you keep track of them all? I have enough trouble with the two at home and the adpoted one at work that won't stay out of the classrooms  :lol: :lol:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 22:41 »
My permanent seven are good at not scratching furniture. They have only dug up the carpet when trapped, never to get into a locked room, but shia puss does on occassion use the door mat for a scratching post  ::) I have a wall post next to the sofa and when they were first with me moved them to that when they scratched and then praise them even now for using it, seems to work.

My pregnant foster cat is a bit more naughty and scratches the carpet when stretching, but I'm letting her get away with a lot as the poor thing is only just 6 months and about to have her first litter of kits - damn irresponsible owners who dumped her in a field- if i ever find them  :mad:

So if any of you fancy having more furniture destroyed there will soon be a post with her and kits for rehoming  :tongue2:

xx
cat claws

Started by diospyros on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 12:20
by Casey76

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 35 queries.