Growing > General Gardening

Slugs and snails

(1/3) > >>

pepsi100:
I heard on the news tonight that we should all be hugging a slug (they didnt mention snails though)

They said we should forgive them eating our fresh planted lettuce and cabbages
They even said that gardeners might have a 'hug and slug day'
(anyone here going to hug a slug?)
Someone said she gathers them up and puts them in her compost container, (I thought that would be the last place you want slugs)
I'll still be putting out a saurer  of beer to trap them, going out with a torch and tongs to catch the little blighters
I've been told the leopard slug eats other slugs, don know if that is true though, I've only seen one

mumofstig:
HUG A SLUG? Urrrggghhh  :ohmy:

Are they joking? Slimy horrible things that eat rows of our precious seedlings and then, even if we get a few to grow, they're still trying to eat our food before we do!

No, the war must go on  ::)

pepsi100:
I couldnt agree more, I dont care what they say about them, I wont be 'hugging no slugs'

But it is a war that never seems to end, all we can do is hunt them down the best we can
I do seem to have a friendly bird that helps me with the snails though, he has a favourite stone he uses to beatr the hell out of them, he is more than welcome in my garden

--- Quote from: mumofstig on March 15, 2024, 09:43 ---HUG A SLUG? Urrrggghhh  :ohmy:

Are they joking? Slimy horrible things that eat rows of our precious seedlings and then, even if we get a few to grow, they're still trying to eat our food before we do!

No, the war must go on  ::)

--- End quote ---

wighty:
I saw that item on the telly and my first thought (and last) was' no way'.   Yes the Leopard slug was 'pretty' (in it's own way) but  I still don't want it in my garden, thank you.

Yorkie:
The real trouble is telling the 'helpful' and 'hungry' slugs apart  :wub:  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version