Car insurance renewal costs !!

• 18 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Car insurance renewal costs !!
« on: August 11, 2023, 19:11 »
Evening all I知 just back from a few days away to find a renewal notice for my car insurance. Despite at least 9 years no claims I知 being offered a bargain renewal that is only 60% more than last year!! No change in details etc. How are the rest of you getting on??
Keep digging

Lardman

Re: Car insurance renewal costs !!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 19:19 »
Due next month. I'm expecting +20% in which case I'll probably just let it renew but anything more and I'll be moving again.

jezza

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 23:44 »
Got my renewal notice for my van it's gone up」163 on last years 7 years no claims bonus but did have 2 prongs with 2 bans with in a month one was non fault the other was my fault wall jumped out behind van ,insurance company would not believe that   jezza

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 06:12 »
About 40% here, but I've checked around, and one company,Tesco, wanted 100% more than I've been paying!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 09:14 »
Mine with the RAC was OK at renewal in July, but I did read somewhere about price rises linked to increases in claims for theft and personal injury, plus the cost of repairs going up, due to price hikes in car parts and of course energy bills for repair shops.

As well as shopping around, it is worth checking how many miles you do each year and making sure you are not paying for the average, which is fairly high at 10-12,000.  If you only do half that, it can cut your premiums by quite a bit. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 09:27 »
In the past I've gone on-line for a quote which came out cheaper then my renewal quote so went for it. It's as though the website sees you as a new customer! I also believe that having a named other driver can reduce the premium.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 10:33 »
Mine went up 22% in January, after a couple of years in which it either stayed about the same, or actually fell (that's when the rules came into place about not charging existing customers more than new ones.)

It's an enormous faff trying to compare like-with-like these days, especially with so many variables such as excesses, free or reduced price extras (protected NCD, recovery, legal cover and so on.)

Although I could have saved a little by changing insurers, I was starting to lose the proverbial will to live, so just paid up and tried to forget about it (until next year, that is.  :wacko:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wighty

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 15:41 »
The van insurance for work use shot up this year by nearly 」500!  On enquiring why was told that it was because now Paul's dad is 80 and registered as the owner, main driver of the van.  He's not, neither of us (Paul or I) like him driving it as he tends to 'wander' and look out the window more than follow the flow.  The van's ownership has now been transferred to Paul and I and his dad will drive on his own car's insurance (which isn't very often. )

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 10:18 »
Looks like I致e discovered the problem at Direct line they made a loss last year and their share price has dropped significantly. That explains why they are dramatically increasing prices. Could have an interesting conversation tomorrow if I can contact them by phone !!

GraciesGran

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 19:29 »
Existing insurer wanted an extra 」103.  Went on line and existing insurer offered me 」20 less than last year.

Blows my brain.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 20:58 »
Vehicle insurance prices have certainly gone up across the board by a lot this year.

It's supposed to be forbidden for companies to give a lower quote to a new customer than an existing one, but always worth seeing if you can get a new quote from your current company online.  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2023, 11:59 »
Called to discuss my ludicrous car insurance quote minimal flexibility after waiting 25 minutes to get through. Went online to a comparison site this morning and have moved to another company for a similar price to last year. Now just need to call my current insurance company to make sure they don稚 try to automatically renew me!
Also need to go through the process again to insure my wife痴 car.
Looks like they will lose that business and my house insurance when it comes up if they continue with unreasonable quotes.

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2023, 11:05 »
Got my insurance quote this morning , an increase of 65%  :ohmy:  on last years.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2023, 13:02 »
That痴 another cheeky quote Lardman.
Based on my experience I would suggest getting some more quotes from a comparison website and then asking your current insurer whether they want you to insure with a competitor. Your choice then. HH

Lardman

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2023, 16:41 »
I tried direct line and they wanted double last years premium  :ohmy:  Insurance is legal robbery at the best of times but that's really taking advantage.

I've ended up back at the AA for +5% on last years cost.

xx
House insurance renewal costs !!

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2023, 19:38
by jaydig
xx
Car Insurance Renewal

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2021, 17:33
by jezza
xx
Van insurance

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2022, 16:23
by New shoot
xx
Motor Car Insurance is due VERY soon now

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2019, 21:24
by grinling

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 50 queries.