Anchor, now Lurpak...

• 13 Replies

Growster...

Anchor, now Lurpak...
« on: August 11, 2023, 07:15 »
Nice prices, but 20% less in those shiny bright packs!

Packs are now 200gms instead of the 250gm...

;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Anchor, now Lurpak...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 08:39 »
I noticed the Anchor was smaller with my last delivery, and wondered how long it would be before the others did the same.....yet the price stays exactly the same. I would say 'they're 'aving a larf' in my best East End accent - but it really isn't funny any more  :mad:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 09:34 »
There’s only one thing for it we will have to get our own cows and start churning milk for butter. Incidentally for bread making I have switched from butter to lard which is a fraction of the cost and produces a tasty loaf. Not that I would spread it on a scone with jam though !! 
Keep digging

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 10:13 »
My late aunt used to churn butter and also make her own cottage cheese. She used to be in the land army then married and worked on a farm. I am now wondering how small things can get before they just consist of a bite-sized portion in a big package. We are not fooled are we? No, we're not but what can one do??  :unsure:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 12:08 »
One thing's for certain, we're never going back to the manufactured slop which we were told was 'good for us', and 'lowered cholesterol'! Flora marg didn't do dear old Terry Wogan much good did it!

For goodness sakes, what's the point of eating statins if one has to use off-yellow axle-grease?

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 12:23 »
GG says..."I am now wondering how small things can get before they just consist of a bite-sized portion in a big package"...

You're not wrong!

Instead of buying some normal Philly Cheese the other day, I picked up a carton of 'Seriously strong' spreading cheese! It is indeed very tasty, but if you turn the pack over, there's a huge dent where you'd think a few more spoonfulls of the stuff might be!

That's a bit of sharp practice in my book!

Mind you - this is for you Mum - and anyone else close by, have you been here at all? https://cranbrookfarmshop.co.uk/

Certainly a bit pricier than the supermarkets, but they do the whole range of Korkers, and some great cheese, so are just the place to go for a treat! (Don't go to the one on the Main Road - they kicked Nick out a few years ago, when they saw how good he was at selling decent produce, and started on their own, so everyone went to his new place a mile away)!

Power to the peopleeeeeee!

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 12:38 »
Incidentally for bread making I have switched from butter to lard which is a fraction of the cost and produces a tasty loaf.
I also use lard rather then block butter in bread and 50/50 in most pastry.

I stopped buying the lurpak spreadable after a tub separated in the heat, I've bought the olive oil based one - olivio? in the past which is ok but the ocado own brand spreadable is actually passable as a lurpak sub and still proper sized.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 20:54 »
Mind you - this is for you Mum - and anyone else close by, have you been here at all? https://cranbrookfarmshop.co.uk/

That's only about 20 mins drive from me, now, I reckon, but I've not driven for years....

jezza

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 23:27 »
Hello the Anchor name wad bought by Arla a couple of years ago as was Lurpack the company announced it was removing Anchor from its product range Primula cheese spreads also one that's being looked at ,,that's why milk bottle sizes are being reduced Tesco and Arla have phased out 6pint bottles ,watch the milk in Tescos as it's supposed to be British milk,its only British because its bottled here ,ivr had 2 bottles recently that have had long dates on them that have bern sour when opened I complained to Tesco got nowhere so rang around and found out that the milk can be blended with milk from abroad mainly France ,if its bern in transit for a few days it can go off ,   jezza

GraciesGran

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 18:27 »

That's only about 20 mins drive from me, now, I reckon, but I've not driven for years....

Went there when we lived at pembury, fabulous place.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 15:31 »
There’s only one thing for it we will have to get our own cows and start churning milk for butter. Incidentally for bread making I have switched from butter to lard which is a fraction of the cost and produces a tasty loaf. Not that I would spread it on a scone with jam though !!
Could one use margarine instead of butter or lard for bread making ?    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

MrsPea

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 16:39 »
https://cranbrookfarmshop.co.uk/
 Looks a nice place but to far to travel  :D
I Love my green house

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 16:59 »
Could one use margarine instead of butter or lard for bread making ?    Mrs Bouquet
Yes, that would be ok, some of my recipes just use oil  :)

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 17:37 »

Went there when we lived at pembury, fabulous place.

Were you there before the bypass was built, GGrans?

I used to leave here around 5.30am to drive to London every day, and the first bottleneck was always those traffic lights by 'The Camden Arms'! Sometimes it stretched back to the start of the village, but there was a fabulous off-licence opposite that pub for when I drove back home in the evening...

G&F Penn were just starting to build the retirement flats a few yards after the garage, opposite the commercial cafe, and I stared at that demolition site for ages, before I got the order for the concrete!

Happy days!

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 48 queries.