New bank account - DON'T

• 6 Replies

GraciesGran

New bank account - DON'T
« on: August 10, 2023, 10:31 »
After much deliberation we have made the decision to change banks.  The last couple of years our satisfaction level with our current bank has dropped beyond belief. It will involve current and savings accounts, we're not eligible for Courts. 

Decision made, so I phone our victim bank and explain what we want to do.  Can we make an appointment to come in and get things moving?  No! We have to open the joint account on line (it's more convenient for me apparently) and then if we go in they can sort out savings.

What happened to service?

PS: local garage have just returned my car, which they collected yesterday, after sorting out a slow puncture. Cost?  Nothing, out a donation in the charity box next time you are passing.

Growster...

Re: New bank account - DON'T
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 18:38 »
Not a pleasant experience is it!

When you think that over a lifetime, on a modest average income, you're using them to look after - say - about a million quid - give or take several thousand, and let them use it all to make their own investments, mistakes etc., it's a bit of an eye-opener when just a few clicks on a keyboard is now the expected way to do what normal business people used to do, which was discuss the issues formally, friendly and firmly!

I remember my bank manager in Rye actually writing a short letter to me when I first had an account in the mid sixties, and informing me that I was £3.10s.6d overdrawn, and that was unacceptable! (I grew to like and trust him immensely later on, and he was a great friend when I needed a few quid to get married! The other bank staff liked him and respected their clients too)!

These online accounts are actually seen as OK here, as I love mucking about with Excel, but that's because I can easily be a nerd on several occasions (!), but the methods of just clicking all your assets away to a new bunch in a flash, can be a nightmare and you're right to put up a huge moan about it all!

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 20:15 »
You're not supposed to have any money any more and you're certainly not suppose to have any cash. My local bank now consists of 3 cash machines and 2 terminals, you're out of luck if you actually need help with something. It used to have very large personal and business banking sections, I have to be honest though I don't bother with the hassle of closing accounts down, I just open new ones and leave a pound in the old.

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 06:36 »
As always Step Grandson to the rescue in exchange for cake!  He's going to come round on Sunday and eat cake and sort it out.  The cost - chocolate cake while he is here and coffee and walnut to take home.

Daveswife

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 17:12 »
4 years ago our local historical & conservation society needed to change banks. 3 of us attended an appointment at the bank's request to open the new account but their guy doing the paperwork for us opened the account as a conversation society, not conservation. No wonder he asked what we talked about. We gave up and went elsewhere, everything done online.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 17:56 »
Did he also make it a 'Hysterical Conversation' Club?

What a ridiculous mistake to make - well done you for sighing and leaving!

jezza

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 23:38 »
When my nearest bank closed I was advised that I could use the mobile bank in CUMBRIAonly 25 minutes away says the advisor I said more like half a day she assured me I wad 25 minutes away ,I asked if they would provide a helicopter to get me there in 25 minutes ,advisor then asked where exactly I was located I said 15 miles south of York ,oh says advisor that's out of the mobile banks region ,she advised me to use a bank in Selby the one that they had shut down the week before ,a lot of my loose change goes into Nr Jacob's or Mr Crawfords banks ,as much interest paid as the real bank but had the pleasure of eating the biscuits first  jezza

xx
Bank of england and what they say

Started by chrissie B on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2018, 10:25
by chrissie B
xx
Bank Charges

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2020, 11:35
by New shoot
xx
Another bank scam.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2023, 18:24
by GraciesGran
xx
Natwest bank

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2018, 12:23
by bayleaf

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 41 queries.