Council green compost

• 4 Replies

Redgoat

Council green compost
« on: August 18, 2015, 22:56 »
My local council kindly drops a load of free green compost at the alllotment. It is the produce of people's green bins. Anyone had any problems from using this waste?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Council green compost
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 23:08 »
How has it been composted I wonder?
Perhaps you need to ask them what has happened to the weedkiller that people have used on their lawns? whether their treatment has deactivated it?

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 19:58 »
Green? Does this mean not rotted down? I put all the stuff in my council compost bin that I don't want on my heap. Weed seeds, for example, and difficult roots. They say they will take all this so I assume that they know what they are doing but I certainly would not trust it if it is truly green.

oakridge

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:50 »
Sharp intake of breath, it could be very good or, more likely, very bad.  As Bernard and mumofstig said a lot depends on what they have done to it.   Even if they have composted it with plenty of heat there still will be very likely nasties like potatoes, Himalayan Balsam etc which could lead to all sorts of problems.

Mind you I was collecting solid residue from a sewage works on the East side of Sheffield years ago and that included all sorts of interesting items.

Malcolm

madcat

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:13 »
We used it a few years back when our allotment was just ploughed field.  It was fine - maybe it brought seeds with it, but maybe they were already there or blew in from around about.  We dealt with them as they came up.  We certainly benefited from all the organic matter lightening up the soil.  There was a lot of junk plastic in it - one neighbour who used it, found the bits of Barbie dolls quite macabre .... ::) :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Can I compost ground elder green bits

Started by thestens on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 19:07
by compostqueen
xx
Surplus green matter & compost bins full!

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2018, 19:15
by jaydig
xx
Me 2 Council still 0

Started by lightyears on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 08:16
by Knight Family
xx
me 1 council 0

Started by lightyears on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 12:43
by Mrs SpudtheBinx

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 29 queries.