How is your sweetcorn??

• 57 Replies

Kirpi

Re: How is your sweetcorn??
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09 »
Three Sisters: I use this method for sweetcorn, climbing beans (Cherokee trail of Tears) and Butternut Squash. Works for me. If I see any beans starting to strangle the sweetcorn, I just unwind the bean vine and give it a beanpole to climb up.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18 »
how do you get in there to do that, with the jungle of sweetcorn squash and beans. Or do you plant the corn  much further apart cos I can't get to my corn easily - and that's without the beans :unsure:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:44 by mumofstig »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 11:29 »
I've never seen a successful three sisters planting and would like to

SO

Picture please Kirpi :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 14:30 »
Are they pollinated cobs or just 3 cobs grown? they don't count until they're pollinated and eatable  ;) Some of mine have 4/5 cobs if I includethe tillers - but they won't all make edible cobs  :(
Ah - that explains why my sweetcorn (Swift) grown in the g'house have several cobs per plant but some look like corn cobs coming out of their sheaths and producing tassels after silks. These must be the tillers, but have no idea why they do it. I do have 3 plants which I put outside and have caught up with the g'house ones amazingly well. I have one which has FIVE silks.

Fix quoted text.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 14:34 by argyllie »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 15:26 »
The original 3 sisters is nicely explained here
http://greenthumbpete.com/?p=39

corn and beans for drying and squash for winter storage ;)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 15:46 »
I have 8 plants, all 7 foot high and bearing 2-3 cobs each. Considering the poor growing conditions this year, and how the plants were struggling earlier on, I'm really pleased  :)

Are they pollinated cobs or just 3 cobs grown? they don't count until they're pollinated and eatable  ;) Some of mine have 4/5 cobs if I includethe tillers - but they won't all make edible cobs  :(

Hi MOS, yes. all pollinated and swelling up nicely  :) Just a matter of timing the harvest right so that I get them before the meeces do  :ohmy: ::)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2012, 16:34 »
I manage two of the three sisters but don't do the beans.  I find the courgettes and sweetcorn work well together.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

battygran

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2012, 17:18 »
Thanks for the advice JayG and mumofstig, but I fear it's too late as the pollen has been and gone, I peeped into a couple of cobs today and things are not looking good, as mumof stig said it has been windy here too. I think I will give it a bit longer but I'm not holding my breath!  

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 07:07 »
I have 18 plants with a total of 32 cobs. Hey, not bad for my first attempt! Took a quick peek at the largest cob yesterday but it hasn’t turned yellow yet. A couple more weeks I think.

Springlands

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 08:16 »
I have 18 plants with a total of 32 cobs. Hey, not bad for my first attempt! Took a quick peek at the largest cob yesterday but it hasn’t turned yellow yet. A couple more weeks I think.

The cobs do not always turn yellow - some are more a pale cream - if you pierce one of the kernels with your thumb and it exudes a milky fluid the cob should be ready. If left too late the cobs go starchy and are not nice to eat. 

simonwatson

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2012, 09:11 »
I've planted a block of about 20 plants. They were badly slowed down by the bad weather at the start of the summer but look much better now, though small.

My question is, they are only about 2 feet tall but are starting to produce tassels. I can see them just forming at the top of the stems. If they start to flower while so small, does anyone think they'll produce a crop?

Thanks

Simon

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 09:20 »
They obviously are quite small, but how small compared to how tall they should be does depend on variety.

As long as you get "silks" appearing and the weather isn't too awful at pollination time you should get at least 1 cob per plant, although they will probably not be as large as they would be if the plants had grown to full size and strength.

In the last few years I've rarely got more than 1 good cob per plant anyway, mainly because I'm now struggling to remember the last time we had a sweetcorn-friendly summer!  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Wellpotty1

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 15:25 »
I have 11 plants planted 12 one disappeared -prob slugs or birds- with courgettes in the bed also, both seem to be doing well. They are close together - less than a 30cm rule I would say and all have cobs starting, very excited as not grown them before.
Kiwifruit

question
Sweetcorn

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 16:52
by JayG
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 17, 2020, 21:12
by Learnerlady
question
sweetcorn

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 23:56
by chillimummy
xx
sweetcorn

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2016, 17:57
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.