slugs and lettuce

• 2 Replies

milan

slugs and lettuce
« on: August 20, 2009, 16:20 »
ok... after trying in vain a while back to grow my dig in lettuces i thought i would try again... (i thought they had died from heat or lack of water etc)

about 2 weeks ago i potted out my seedlings which i had let grow to a reasonable size thinking id put a more 'robust' plant out! one morning my strongest one was gone..... i scratched my head thinking what it could be and came down to user error LOL

anyway while setting up some other beer traps i thought id put one with my lettuces (in a box elevated about 2ft on the patio) and would you believe..... last night i looked out and there was one actually crawing into the beer trap having totally ignored the lettuces!

so not user error and even better my beer traps are totally working!

egg

Re: slugs and lettuce
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 19:39 »
I have just planted my lettuce out after being fully aware of slugs due to the complete loss of all my carrots, spinach and beetroot seedlings! I planted many pots of beer and it is successful so far! I have noticed it is all the small slugs though and not the 'big boys'!
They are not getting my lettuce if I can help it!

Paul Plots

Re: slugs and lettuce
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 20:40 »
I don't know how much rain you are getting in your area but I find if I can keep the surrounding ground free of vegetation there's few damp places for slugs to hide.

By watering only the lettuce patch and leaving the soil around it dry the slugs seem not to have noticed mine growing steadily all season.

A sprinkle of blue slug bait around the lettuce planting area has prevented all but one small slimey critter getting to the lettuce - and I've grown a few dozen this year.

Not so easy if there's a regular, solid down pour  :(

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
slugs & lettuce

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:47
by Yorkie
xx
Lettuce

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 01:45
by sclarke624
xx
little gem lettuce

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 13:23
by DD.
xx
Lettuce

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 17:05
by Kristen

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 38 queries.