Lettuce

• 9 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Lettuce
« on: June 24, 2009, 20:26 »

Ok silly question,

I've planted some crisphead type lettuce   "little gem". Webs wonder, and ice queen.

when do i know if they are ready?

I've never really seen a lettuce growing, and i only buy iceburg type in the shops all stripped down in plastic wrappers  :tongue2: some of them seem to have a semi solid heart but im not sure what to look for when they are ready?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 20:48 »
Have a feel and when they feel 'hearted' like the ones you buy in the shops, then cut one :) Strip of the manky outside leaves and you should have got it right, if not then leave the next one a bit longer......it's all trial and error..and for me thats quite a bit of the latter :blush:

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 20:53 »
I've been eating my butterhead early due to planting too much lettuce  :lol: Still tastes great  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Bombers

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 21:18 »
Here's what ww's look like when ready.

Then when you remove the 'Manky' leaves.... Tonight's tea  ;) :D

Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 21:32 »
Oh wow thanks ... im so happy i think some of mine are ready then ...

Quick comparison

How long will they last in this state if i leave them in the ground? i have planted in succession but i have quite a few in each planting?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 21:35 by KT »

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 21:38 »
^ Looks GREAT! Bombers, hope my stuff turns out as nice.
As an aside, I've some lettuce (think they're a Cos type) that are nearly ready to pull.
I've grown them without netting and don't have so much as a slug bight out of them, no bird probs or anything. Most of my other stuff has holes in the leaves so I'm just hoping there isn't something wrong with them.. :unsure:

Bombers

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 21:41 »

Quick comparison

[img=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5119/img0872.jpg]

How long will they last in this state if i leave them in the ground? i have planted in succession but i have quite a few in each planting?

Ohh well done KT. Yours looks ready too.  ;)

I recon we use 2-3 lettuces a week. They will run to seed quite quick in this warm weather. I Keep sowing, and any extras go to the oldies.MIL called round tonight and recieved a punnet of strawbs, half a dozen radish, a lettuce and a couple of pounds of Pentland jav's.. She was well happy. ;) 8)

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 21:45 »

Quick comparison

[img=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5119/img0872.jpg]

Ohh well done KT. Yours looks ready too.  ;)

I recon we use 2-3 lettuces a week. They will run to seed quite quick in this warm weather. I Keep sowing, and any extras go to the oldies.MIL called round tonight and recieved a punnet of strawbs, half a dozen radish, a lettuce and a couple of pounds of Pentland jav's.. She was well happy. ;) 8)

yay very happy.... i only use about 1 lettuce a week, which is a shame because i think i've planted about 10 per week worth haha im going to have to fine people to palm them off on  :blush:

I'e not had much luck with the strawberry's i netted them all a few weeks ago because i thought the birds where getting them, only to discover the culprit was a mischivous 7year old.  :ohmy: little monkey.

Just need my peppers, toms and cuc's to catch up them i'll have a salad...  :tongue2:

Bombers

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 21:47 »
^ Looks GREAT! Bombers, hope my stuff turns out as nice.
As an aside, I've some lettuce (think they're a Cos type) that are nearly ready to pull.
I've grown them without netting and don't have so much as a slug bight out of them, no bird probs or anything. Most of my other stuff has holes in the leaves so I'm just hoping there isn't something wrong with them.. :unsure:
I don't cover the lettuces. :nowink: I've read quite a few people on here are suffering with sparrows and the usual suspects (slugs 'n snails). My lettuces are grown in beds next to a very high hawthorn hedge, with shade from 3pm onwards.
We have a family of sparrows, and blackbirds nesting  there, and have no problems at all. In fact, I think they've 'hoovered' up all the bugs too! 8) :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 17:05 »
"How long will they last in this state if i leave them in the ground? i have planted in succession but i have quite a few in each planting?"

My crop records suggest that first-to-last harvest of "usable" lettuce is between 2 and 3 weeks.  Yours, being nice and table-ready, are already past what I would consider was a "First harvest" specimen :)

Eat up, convert to soup and freeze, or give away whilst in their prime I'm afraid

xx
lettuce

Started by dawnj on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 10:42
by lisa80
xx
little gem lettuce

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 13:23
by DD.
xx
Lettuce

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 18:55
by sloworm
xx
Cut n come again lettuce

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2016, 09:34
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 38 queries.