Lettuce

• 9 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Lettuce
« on: June 24, 2009, 20:26 »

Ok silly question,

I've planted some crisphead type lettuce   "little gem". Webs wonder, and ice queen.

when do i know if they are ready?

I've never really seen a lettuce growing, and i only buy iceburg type in the shops all stripped down in plastic wrappers  :tongue2: some of them seem to have a semi solid heart but im not sure what to look for when they are ready?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 20:48 »
Have a feel and when they feel 'hearted' like the ones you buy in the shops, then cut one :) Strip of the manky outside leaves and you should have got it right, if not then leave the next one a bit longer......it's all trial and error..and for me thats quite a bit of the latter :blush:

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 20:53 »
I've been eating my butterhead early due to planting too much lettuce  :lol: Still tastes great  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Bombers

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 21:18 »
Here's what ww's look like when ready.

Then when you remove the 'Manky' leaves.... Tonight's tea  ;) :D

Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 21:32 »
Oh wow thanks ... im so happy i think some of mine are ready then ...

Quick comparison

How long will they last in this state if i leave them in the ground? i have planted in succession but i have quite a few in each planting?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 21:35 by KT »

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 21:38 »
^ Looks GREAT! Bombers, hope my stuff turns out as nice.
As an aside, I've some lettuce (think they're a Cos type) that are nearly ready to pull.
I've grown them without netting and don't have so much as a slug bight out of them, no bird probs or anything. Most of my other stuff has holes in the leaves so I'm just hoping there isn't something wrong with them.. :unsure:

Bombers

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 21:41 »

Quick comparison

[img=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5119/img0872.jpg]

How long will they last in this state if i leave them in the ground? i have planted in succession but i have quite a few in each planting?

Ohh well done KT. Yours looks ready too.  ;)

I recon we use 2-3 lettuces a week. They will run to seed quite quick in this warm weather. I Keep sowing, and any extras go to the oldies.MIL called round tonight and recieved a punnet of strawbs, half a dozen radish, a lettuce and a couple of pounds of Pentland jav's.. She was well happy. ;) 8)

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 21:45 »

Quick comparison

[img=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5119/img0872.jpg]

Ohh well done KT. Yours looks ready too.  ;)

I recon we use 2-3 lettuces a week. They will run to seed quite quick in this warm weather. I Keep sowing, and any extras go to the oldies.MIL called round tonight and recieved a punnet of strawbs, half a dozen radish, a lettuce and a couple of pounds of Pentland jav's.. She was well happy. ;) 8)

yay very happy.... i only use about 1 lettuce a week, which is a shame because i think i've planted about 10 per week worth haha im going to have to fine people to palm them off on  :blush:

I'e not had much luck with the strawberry's i netted them all a few weeks ago because i thought the birds where getting them, only to discover the culprit was a mischivous 7year old.  :ohmy: little monkey.

Just need my peppers, toms and cuc's to catch up them i'll have a salad...  :tongue2:

Bombers

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 21:47 »
^ Looks GREAT! Bombers, hope my stuff turns out as nice.
As an aside, I've some lettuce (think they're a Cos type) that are nearly ready to pull.
I've grown them without netting and don't have so much as a slug bight out of them, no bird probs or anything. Most of my other stuff has holes in the leaves so I'm just hoping there isn't something wrong with them.. :unsure:
I don't cover the lettuces. :nowink: I've read quite a few people on here are suffering with sparrows and the usual suspects (slugs 'n snails). My lettuces are grown in beds next to a very high hawthorn hedge, with shade from 3pm onwards.
We have a family of sparrows, and blackbirds nesting  there, and have no problems at all. In fact, I think they've 'hoovered' up all the bugs too! 8) :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 17:05 »
"How long will they last in this state if i leave them in the ground? i have planted in succession but i have quite a few in each planting?"

My crop records suggest that first-to-last harvest of "usable" lettuce is between 2 and 3 weeks.  Yours, being nice and table-ready, are already past what I would consider was a "First harvest" specimen :)

Eat up, convert to soup and freeze, or give away whilst in their prime I'm afraid

xx
lettuce

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 13:15
by gobs
xx
lettuce

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 12:23
by sclarke624
xx
Lettuce little gem

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 20:08
by yummy
xx
Lettuce

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2006, 10:31
by noshed

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.