The Moulting!

• 2 Replies

cejx

• Experienced Member
The Moulting!
« on: October 05, 2011, 18:00 »
I received my 6 ex batts about 1 year ago... making them about 2.5 years old.  For the past two weeks or so, egg production has dwindled to about 2 a day (not necessarily from the same girls) when it used to be 5-6, and this morning I noticed a load of feathers in the Eglu.

Does this mean that a moult is imminent? Do they all moult at about the same time? 

Any advice gratefully received.
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

Springlands

Re: The Moulting!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 18:16 »
If you are getting a lot of feathers in the eglu it certainly seems as if they are moulting - our coop has constantly looked liked an eiderdown has burst in it recently because of all the discarded feathers.

Egg production will decrease at this time but you have also to take into account that your girls are ex-batts and sometimes they do not produce for as long as some other birds.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
Re: The Moulting!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 19:25 »
Mine are moulting as well.  Its the time of year I'm afraid.  I havnt had any eggs for the past 2 days and I have 13 chickens!!   One of my ex batts did decide to moult in December one year!!  I thought it was abit cold to be doing it then but she soon grew a load more!!  One year mine moulted in July.  I dont know if anyone on here knows why they do it at different times of the year.  Though it is usually the end of the summer they do it - I think?
I took one of my ex batts to the vets and he said shes not laying anymore and she must be about 3 1/2 years old.  My friend got her ex batts at the same time and she said hers are still laying!!  I thought that was pretty good for 3 1/2 year old ex batt!!

xx
moulting again!

Started by hermon on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 06:16
by hermon
xx
Moulting or something else?

Started by heifer on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 23:03
by Aunt Sally
xx
Moulting?

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 10:15
by beth123
xx
moulting hen

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 09:38
by Flyin Chickens

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 38 queries.