hen drinking loads

• 4 Replies

Nefertari

hen drinking loads
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:20 »
Hi, I have a copper-black maran who I got at POL last June.  She looks healthy enough, eats ok but drinks masses.  Up til now she's been laying well too.

She must have slept in the nest box last night (I have a Cube) and it is soaking wet in there and her undercarriage is soaked.  I bathed her because I didn't want the urine to burn her skin. Although there is no ammonia smell from her or the cube.

Her tail is up and seems her normal self.  I have separated her this morning as I want to see how much she is eating.  I do know that she never does a normal poo, whenever they are out FR, I notice her squirting water only out.  I should add that she has always been squirting water rather than pooing, it's not new.  It's just that she was soaked through this morning.

Any ideas please people?

kegs

Re: hen drinking loads
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 15:16 »
I would take her to the vet. 

I recently had a table bird that was doing the same thing and although she seemed fine during the day, eating drinking walking around, her vent feathers were dirty and the coop floor would be soaked through every morning.  When it was time for her to be dispatched my OH said that something was wrong when he dressed her for the table. 

It may not be the same thing at all but the symptoms sound similar and a chicken friendly vet should be able to help.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 15:21 »
I'm going through this with one of mine at the moment, causes could be kidney failing this increases their thirst, also stress, or injury also makes them have diarrhea, as long as she is eating and seeming OK not sure there is much you can do. If you decide to go to the vets anti-biotics can have a bad effect on the kidneys so I would steer clear of them, I think that is the problem with what is happening with mine.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 17:43 »
Apparently chickens can develop diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus- totally different diseases but both present with increased thirst and urine production. DM would also result in weight loss.
See link
http://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/57j8k-domestic-chicken-diabetes.html
Good luck with her,
Jane

Nefertari

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:54 »
Hi,  I took Mabel to the vets last night to have her checked over.  the vet couldn't find anything wrong at all.  She's given me Baytril for her for 7 days just in cast it's an underlying infection.

I'll keep an eye on her to see what happens.

xx
loads and loads and loads and loads of POLANDS

Started by babe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 18:48
by babe
cheesy
Picked up new chooks, and have LOADS of questions

Started by Sparr0wman on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 12:47
by 8doubles
xx
Chicken losing loads of feathers

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 13:53
by VeggieVirgin
xx
drinking water

Started by mollymuggles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 21:47
by grinling

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 29 queries.