red mite

• 3 Replies

boosmummy

red mite
« on: June 20, 2011, 14:57 »
im reading my books about chickens and ive come across this red mite. On one hand i think, i need to read all the information on the other hand i read and it puts me off the whole chicken keeping experience  ::) i know you have to take the rough with the smooth.

in your experience whats the best way to keep red mite and other nasties away?  i read plastic is better than wood but to be hones tim more inclined to wood, it looks nice more traditional and the eglu's are soooooo expensive i just refuse to spend that amount - if i can get away with it xx

brick22

Re: red mite
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 16:30 »
Hello & welcome to the forums.
I'm new to chicken keeping & these forums are invaluable, I know more experienced people will be along with great advice but I just wanted to say that any "nasties" that come along with keeping chickens should not put you off keeping them, the pro's far far outway the con's.
Good chicken husbandry will help to keep unwanted pests away as much as possible but nothing is 100%.
I clean my coop every week and spot clean everyday, I use suitable disinfectancts for my wooden coop as well as diatomaceous earth in the crevises to help keep red mite at bay, I also move the coop around the garden as I've heard that they can hide in the fence panels (im a bit over protected :)) I flea (frontline kitten) & worm (was verm-x but now flubenvet under forum members recommendation) on a regular basis. I handle my chickens everyday so they are used to me checking them over (and under on some occasions).
All the hard work I put into looking after them is rewarded by lovely scrummy eggs from my 2 girls.......I like to think we are working in harmony :D
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

boosmummy

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 17:41 »
Hello & welcome to the forums.
I'm new to chicken keeping & these forums are invaluable, I know more experienced people will be along with great advice but I just wanted to say that any "nasties" that come along with keeping chickens should not put you off keeping them, the pro's far far outway the con's.
Good chicken husbandry will help to keep unwanted pests away as much as possible but nothing is 100%.
I clean my coop every week and spot clean everyday, I use suitable disinfectancts for my wooden coop as well as diatomaceous earth in the crevises to help keep red mite at bay, I also move the coop around the garden as I've heard that they can hide in the fence panels (im a bit over protected :)) I flea (frontline kitten) & worm (was verm-x but now flubenvet under forum members recommendation) on a regular basis. I handle my chickens everyday so they are used to me checking them over (and under on some occasions).
All the hard work I put into looking after them is rewarded by lovely scrummy eggs from my 2 girls.......I like to think we are working in harmony :D

ah thanks for that xx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:25 »
I was the same as you boosmummy, I read and read and scared myself nearly out of keeping chickens. Foxes, redmite, lice, illnesses AARRRGGGHHHHH, there's so much to worry about. But the theory is so different from the reality. I have my ex-batts a year now, and my chickies 2 months, had 1 prolapse off one ex-batt, which I treated myself with no problems, and one outbreak of mycoplasma due to me stressing the chickens out too much by moving there coop and run, the same week as a moult started.....something I leaned after i'd done it :/  1 course of Baytril antibiotics and they were sorted. They're about the same hassle as keeping rabbits or guinea pigs...only you get gorgeous eggs as a thank you for your time :) You get to know them really quickly, and can pick up if there's anything wrong, and if there is, it's usually treateable at home, by you.
The same with anything, it's daunting at first, but once you've had them a month, you'll wonder what you were worrying about :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
thumbup
got rid of red mite

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 20:38
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 35 queries.