Some blood smeared on egg

• 5 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Some blood smeared on egg
« on: April 22, 2011, 13:52 »
Henrietta has been laying every day for about a week and a half now, and normally lays by about 10.30 / 11.00am. Today, she has just laid, and its a bigger egg than normal for her (not massive, but definitely bigger) and had a bit of blood smeared on the shell

Any advice?

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Re: Some blood smeared on egg
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 18:15 »
Just compared it to her egg from a couple of days ago (as she lays 2nd, it was still warm when I collected them, whereas Milly's egg was cold from being laid earlier) and it is quite a lot bigger - could that have anything to do with it?

Looking at her, there are no signs of blood externally, and she is behaving normally - eating and drinking fine, and nice and perky.

Any comments gratefully read!

lightyears

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 19:14 »
i get this from time to time, i have come to the conclusion, that sometimes the eggs is a bit bigger than the hole intended it to be, hence a little bleeding. i maybe wrong tho lol. I would just keep and eye on them and if they seem fine, they most likely are

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 22:10 »
I had the occasional egg with a small smear of blood when one of mine started laying, it didn't last long. She's probably stretched it a bit if the egg was big, so long as she's not bleeding, seems fine in herslf and the others aren't pecking at her rear she should be fine.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 16:17 »
She hasnt laid today - is that ok? She has been laying every day for a week and a half till this incident yesterday. Before that she only laid 3 times over a 10 day period.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 08:58 »
She laid first thing this morning - nice normal egg with no blood. So hopefully the blood was because it was a biggie and she is young.

xx
blood in egg

Started by JMF on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 12:25
by JMF
xx
Blood on egg

Started by Chicken chum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2014, 09:53
by Chicken chum
xx
Blood in the egg

Started by stujem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 12:14
by TeaPots
xx
blood on egg

Started by dianemk73 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 16:30
by dianemk73

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 28 queries.