10 wk old with lice

• 2 Replies

jo40

• Experienced Member
10 wk old with lice
« on: June 22, 2009, 22:20 »
I would welcome some advice :(
I acquired a young welsummer about 3 weeks ago, think she is around 10 wks now.
Whilst doing my usual inspections I have found lice on her. I'm sure they are lice and not mite, they are all over her vent area and look exactly like the pictures on aunt sally post about nasties.
I sprayed her with johnson flea/lice extra (only had the small animals version to hand) left her for an hour, it seems to have done the trick, although I know I will need to do it again next week as there are some egg clumps that I couldnt remove.
I have thoroughly checked my other chickens they appear to be clean, they do sleep on a perch whereas the baby tends to curl up on the floor. The house is is liberally doused with DE but could this be why only the baby seems to be infested?
She has now been 'quarantined' into a cat box for the night, .. and Ive had a very long shower!!!
Will I need to keep her separate or will she be 'safe' now that there are no lice on her, she is not fully feathered yet so it is easy to see them. Dont really want her separated from the others as she is so young, I have doused the others with redmite powder as I believe this is a deterrent for lice too?
Should I still keep them separated, I was planning to move them all to a new hen house this week.   

Foxy

Re: 10 wk old with lice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 22:29 »
Dont worry,lice aren't that bad,considering. I wouldn't bother with separating her,give all your birds a good squirt, change the bedding, do it again in a week, you should be fine.  :)

jo40

• Experienced Member
Re: 10 wk old with lice
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 22:38 »
Thanks foxy.. again.. ::)
I was a bit nervous about using the flea/lice spray for small animals so didnt want squirt them all! I guess if it was going to cause a problem it would have by now :unsure:
I intended getting some 'new editions' this week to tie into the new house, thought is would prevent bullying if I unnerved them all together :wub:
Would you say it is ok to continue with the plans, but just make sure they are all sprayed, do you have any other recommendations for lice?   

xx
LICE

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 11:47
by Vember
question
lice

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 17:57
by chooknewbie
xx
lice

Started by chelle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 16:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
Lice

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 10:04
by 3Bluebelles

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.