I am new to this, keep the fox away!

• 9 Replies

ginger

I am new to this, keep the fox away!
« on: March 12, 2009, 22:26 »
I hope you can give me some valuable advice. I have been told that male urin will deter a fox but I,m not sure if its an old wives tale. I will try most things!

Vember

Re: I am new to this, keep the fox away!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 22:29 »
Hi again Ginger :)

We have a sticky here which is all about protecting against fox attacks :)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25998.0

I wouldn't like to trust the urine as a deterrent, you can't beat tall weld mesh fencing in my opinion :D

Sarah :D

ginger

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 22:53 »
 :)Thanks but my chucks play in the garden and my kids play with them. Scared of electrifiying them too! Wish us luck! :unsure: :) :)

shiatsusu

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:10 »
We had a debate about this as Vember says and although male urine may put them off it won't keep the chooks safe- I only leave my girls in the garden when I am home to keep an eye on them. You really need a securely fenced area to put them in for when you aren't there to be sure Mr F stays out.

ginger

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 21:32 »
Thanks for that.
All my neighbours are retired and have dogs too and have said they will look out for my girls. Am I bieng nieve? There dogs have free reign in the day so will allways be around. :mellow: :)

shiatsusu

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 22:14 »
Hmm, my experience is foxes are mighty crafty and watch for days to work out who's where and what they can get away with. I think probably "better safe than sorry" springs to mind.

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:42 »
It's a gamble ginger. You won't be the only one taking it by any means but they do get craftier and more determined as time goes on. Often as we get more complacent. :(

If you approach your garden from outside imagining you're a fox (agility of a cat, strength of a dog) and see where and how you could get into the garden without being got by next door's dog. You'll be surprised how easy it would be.

Rob 8)

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:27 »
I've heard lots of stories about neighbours dogs killing chickens . . .
If the dogs can get to a fox that is attacking your chooks, then they can get to your chooks too, and if they can't then they can't get to the fox either.  :unsure:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 18:30 »
As for the urine  ::)

My plot is a long way from home along a bridle path and therefor it is well protected with the said fluid  :ohmy:

Fox still got in at a weak spot in my fence and got one of my girls .......... so no it dont work  :mad:

Alby
wish I was a cat

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 20:45 »
theres only one way to protect agianst the fox an thats build a very secure run .

it can be expensive but its better to be safe then sorry. my girls are on the allotments right behind my garden an its perfect  terriorty for the townie fox , so far touch wood i have not had one single probelm with them and i have seen the paw prints an the poo right on my main fencing so i know they have been checking it out .
i do need to place wire in the ground about 1 foot down around one section of the run which as been weaken  by the rats digging under the wire layed down on soil an then the slabs on top i should of done that this weekend but it will have to wait tell next week , but apart from that my run is very solid .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 39 queries.