Lame Chicken

• 25 Replies

Binty

Lame Chicken
« on: October 17, 2008, 21:05 »
Help! I got my lady's last week from a local farmer who was clulling his flock for the winter.  My 4 girls are only 23wks and one of them (Tiny Tim) is lame.  When I got her she was also very thin.  When I got them off the farmer he handed me two dog food sacks each with two chickens in.  I think she may have hurt herself while in the sack.  She has started putting weight on and is eating well, she just cant stand on one of her legs properly.  She keeps stretching her leg and wing.  I have checked her leg there is no swelling or heat and I cant find any flesh wounds. I have fallen in love with my girls and really enjoy spending time with them I am just really worried about her.  Sorry to rattle on but I just dont know where else to turn.   :cry:

Foxy

Lame Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 22:11 »
Hi Binty and welcome to the forum (dont think we've met :D )
Going back to your 4 hens - 23 week old and culling? thats unusual -normally a farmer would reduce stock after about 18mths when laying isn't adequete for commercial purposes.
I am a little suspicious about the motives for cullling so young, I think in my nature Im afraid! :?
Now your hen does it look like she is unbalanced? and is she using opposite wing to help steady herself? It sounds a little like a nasty disease called "Mareks" which initially affects various nerves causing imbalance whilst the bird may be eating fine -dont panic worst case scenario. Saying that it doesn't look like great care of the birds and it could simply be stress and a poor diet causing the problem. Have a look at their combs -are they nice and red? if pale and shriveled looking could indicate a nutritional problem as at 23weeks would expect them to look nice and pink.
Keep a close eye on her -particulary how she moves around and also her droppings do they look normal -browny green,firm with a white cap as a  high wormload may cause her thiness. She just could be a runt which is why the farmer was going to cull Im afraid.
Keep us posted!

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Lame Chicken
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 00:28 »
how are its eyes? Funny looking pupils, bright or tired looking?

poultrygeist

Lame Chicken
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 08:42 »
Hi Binty. Welcome aboard. :D

My first thought was how strange a culling at 23 weeks was. It does sound as though he may have singled these ones out for some other reason, but that doesn't mean you can't give them a good home.

If you can manage to post some photos of them, that may give some extra clues. :)

If you're not sure how, THIS help topic should assist. :)

Rob 8)

Bodger

Lame Chicken
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 09:18 »
Cut your losses now before they become any greater. You owe it to youself to start your poultry experience by keeping healthy chickens from the outset.

Please read this. http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=19629

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Lame Chicken
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:23 »
bodger

you seem a bit negative today...........?
whilst you are probably right in your advice, i am not too sure about the bedside manner  :o

Bodger

Lame Chicken
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 09:27 »
I'm sorry for appearing to be heartless, but I think I'm actually being very positive. I want as many people to keep chickens as possible and I don't want new comers being put off this very rewarding hobby by starting with an extremley negative experience.
I'm afraid, that I've never been a fluffy bunny. :lol:

Binty

Lame Chicken
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 16:11 »
Thanks for your replies I didnt make myself clear before, the farmer is retiring due to ill health (he is 75 and been "working the land" all his life, he was finding homes for as many chickens as he could, most of his old stock has now been culled and he rehomed as much of his young stock as possible.  Back to Tiny Tim, her combs is nice and red and her eyes are bright.  She is sat down resting at the moment but when she stands up she will stretch the bad leg and the wing on the same side almost as if she is trying to stretch out a muscle.  She isnt having any balance problemss

Thanks for all your help, I love reading this forum everyone seems really helpful and friendly.  
   :lol:

Bodger

Lame Chicken
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 16:33 »
It sounds typical of Mareks.

poultrygeist

Lame Chicken
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 18:22 »
Could it be soft tissue damage ??

I thought balance problems were a symptom ?

Rob 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Lame Chicken
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 18:39 »
It sounds rather like Marek's to me too  :cry:
But you'd loose nothing by giving her losts of tlc with the hope she may recover.  

But be warned if it is Marek's she could always be a source or infection to other birds   :(

Foxy

Lame Chicken
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 18:53 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
It sounds rather like Marek's to mee too  :cry:
But you;d loose nothing by niving her losts ofntlc with the hope she may recover.  

But be warned if it is Marek's she could always be a source or infection to other birds   :(

and if that wasn't quite clear auntie actually said "giving her lots of TLC" bless her probably needs a little oil.... :lol (or a bit too well oiled!!! :lol:  :lol: )

poultrygeist

Lame Chicken
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 18:53 »
Isolation is important then. And monitor closely. :)

Best to keep a realistic outlook throughout. :?

Rob 8)

Binty

Lame Chicken
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 18:55 »
Does this mean she will have to be killed?  will the others get it too??  I am now going to search the net for Mareks I have got books but there is not a lot of info. :cry:  :cry:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Lame Chicken
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 19:03 »
Quote from: "Foxy"

and if that wasn't quite clear auntie actually said "giving her lots of TLC" bless her probably needs a little oil.... :lol (or a bit too well oiled!!! :lol:  :lol: )

:roll: I was trying to dish up a curry while typing  :roll:

xx
HELP - Lame Chicken

Started by SJC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 08:27
by Sassy
xx
Lame Chicken

Started by Buffy Lilley on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 09:14
by Sassy
xx
rather sad lame chicken

Started by maria gandy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 13:36
by compostqueen
xx
Lame 7 year old chicken

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2018, 05:36
by LILLILEAF

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 39 queries.