6 million courgettes from my plot

• 47 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: 6 million courgettes from my plot
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 00:59 »
That's two of us then.... I wonder if anyone has had the same with green courgettes?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 16:41 »
Ive got a spare shelf in my oven while im cooking tea so thought would use up some more courgettes and roast a few baby ones to go with tea.

Ive im going to brush them with garlic in olive oil then put them in oven anyone suggest anything else for them to be cooked in? keeping it simple. Just feel like it needs something else but ot sure what.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 16:58 »
breadcrumbs mixed with grated parmesan and sprinkled over..................gives them a bit of texture :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 17:48 »
oooo that sounds good mumofstig.

Cheers MW.

Paul Plots

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 22:01 »
I love parmesan so any excuse to eat it is good for me.... so it'll be added to the shoppng list. :)  Thanks for the idea.

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 08:16 »
A quick easy peasy way to get rid of some extra courgettes.....one I made up last year...

Par boil courgettes for a couple of minutes.
Put into a gratin dish, cover with double or single cream generously, add lashings of black freshly ground pepper and a small sprinkling of fennel seeds.

Bake for about 10 mins on 180 degrees C

Good as a side dish with roast chicken
Thinking of the Days

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 22:08 »
My mum used to make marrow & ginger jam when i was a kid - slightly stringy, but good flavour!
Re courgettes - I find anything mixed with bacon tastes good - you could try layering them with bacon & pasta sauce, topped with cheese & finished in the oven or under grill?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 22:09 »
I need a recipe for courgettes with no cheese in, anyone got any apart from soup  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 22:10 »
Choc courgette cake  8)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 22:15 »
Courgette & Lime cake is also yummy

Beetroot queen

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 22:20 »
Forgot the cake I have done it loads of times, okay apart from cake and soup LOL  :lol:

on a funny courgette note last night chris rushed up to the plot to check all was ok, he saw two courgettes ready and thought I'll grab them, which he did, he didnt have anywhere to put them so he stuck them in his pockets

Good job he has a wife who checks the pockets before she does the washing :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 22:24 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

JoseyJo

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 11:06 »
We've been wading through courgettes for the last few weeks and are still LOVING them!! Here are a few of our fave recipes......

Pasta sauce - thinly slice, slowly sizzle with some crushed garlic and olive oil. When all nice and mushy with a few brown bits add a few glugs of cream and grated parmesan. Yum

Baby courgette flower thingys - Pick some baby courgettes with the flower still nice and fresh. Gently take any slug, bugs, flies or pollen from inside the flower. Stuff with whatever to hand - i used packet stuffing but some cheesey/mascapone/ breadcrumby/riccotta/spinachy/oniony mixture would be nice. Dip in batter (tempura sort v.nice) and deep fry. These are tasty, tasty, tasty!! You can do it with the male flowers as well, but i have sooo many courgettes i'm happy to eat some as babies and they are sooooooo good.

Polenta courgette slices - Slice courggette, coat in polenta/maizemeal and deep fry till golden. Dip in home made mayo, mmm, mmm, mm!

Lemony courgettes - Braise slices in olive oil, garlic and lots of lemon juice. Chuck some mint in at the end. Eat with bread to mop up yummy juices.

Courgette pasta strips - Use your potato peeler to make long strips of courgette. Drop in boiling water for a few seconds until softened. Use like you would pasta with your favourite sauce (..ok, the pasta sauce above would be a bit tooooo much!) something with a lot of gutsy taste like a nice rich tomato sauce.

I'm liking the idea of courgette and lime cake. And the baked dish.

Thinking of it, with Courgette soup for starter, gratin for main and courgette cake for pud there is a whole dinner party. Who's for an invite......! :lol:

Josey

JulieP

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 13:28 »
Picked up the AS*A magazine this week - they have 4 courgette receipies, cake, pancakes, something else and a tart..... worth a look
I Love My Lottie, My own little hideaway and Gym:)

Babyshoes

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 18:12 »
My partner worked out a very tasty courgette recipe similar to the type of thing you would find in a deli.

First chop a chilli and or garlic to taste and put it in a jar, then top up with oil - the amount you use and the type of oil depend on your personal tastes. We used one smallish, medium heat chilli and corn oil. Shake it up and leave it to infuse for a day or two.

Slice courgette longways thinly (halve it first if it is long), into slices about 1mm or so if you can get it that thin! Use the infused oil to shallow fry your courgette until slightly browned on both sides. (Use a griddle pan if you have one.) Put aside any you don't eat immediately and continue frying until all courgette is used up. Finally, fry your chilli and/or garlic until starting to brown. Set aside.

Place the remaining courgette in an airtight container, then top with the chilli/garlic and add the rest of the oil. Top up with plain oil if necessary to cover it all.

Stores well in the fridge, yummy on its own, in sandwiches or on top of rice cakes / bagels with cream cheese etc. I can't tell you how long it will last as it got eaten quickly, but was fine a week later!

xx
Too many courgettes?

Started by HilaryG on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 13:06
by Beetroot queen
xx
raw courgettes eew?

Started by gardener247 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 16:47
by andreadon
xx
New use for courgettes

Started by Goosegirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2013, 18:01
by compostqueen
xx
Overgrown courgettes

Started by VeggieVirgin on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 20:59
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 40 queries.