anti peck bits

• 12 Replies

anitaws

anti peck bits
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:39 »
Well having had Rosie feather pecking Iris until she had a 2 inch patch looking oven ready last weekend and keeping her seperated all week we have had the anti peck bits in the post today and I wanted to tell you its not been half as bad as I thought to put one on.

We warmed the ring in water and took an old pillow case with us.  I wrapped Rosie up in the pillow case and Bob set about fitting the ring.  She couldn't struggle because she was well wrapped and Bob was determined to fit it as timely as possible.  It took about 5 minutes and once we couldn't pull it off we knew it was fitted. 

Rosie is now in the run with the rest of the hens and the partitian is down, at last, the other seem very curious what it is and Rosie is showing slight anoyance at it but nothing drastic.

If your hen's start feather pecking and like us, you've only got the one run, try a bit before you end up with an oven ready bird.  I'm sure we would have done if I'd not caught her at it.

Anita

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: anti peck bits
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:45 »
I've used these too Anita and they really do help.  he hen gets used to eating with them in place in no time at all.

anitaws

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 13:04 »
Having kept Rosie separate for a full week I did wonder if the anti peck bit was necessary.  Well I've just sat on the bench with the girls and she has tried repeatedly to peck all the other three hens.  Separation alone has not worked with Rose.

Anita

Chicks@105

• Our Litte Project!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 19:24 »
We are having a bad problem with pecking at the minute.  2 of our girls are pecking at the other 2 so we have had to separate them so that they can heal.  The problem for us is that within an hour Ginger had a 2inch square bald patch which was bleeding a little and Petal wasn't far behind  :(  As we are at work during the day and can only separate them in to a small run - it's meant to be the rabbits, we need a solution and fast!

I feel sorry for the poor girls  :(

Can I ask where you got the anti peck bits from? 

We have tried an anti peck spray and separation and we are now using Stockholm tar on the wounds to help heal them and to act as an anti peck.  I think though that if this doesn't work an anti peck bit will need to be the way forward unfortunately.

Thanks

Karen
Could be the Good Life, just needs more work!

Exbattmad

• Hen rehomers uk
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 19:37 »
Which antipeck spray did you use.
The most effective one is ukadex, it smells like a million ashtrays but is the best one on the market.
Rescuer and rehomer of ex batts!
http://www.henrehomers.net

Chicks@105

• Our Litte Project!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 19:43 »
I got it from the local Pets at Home - it's Johnson's Anti Peck Spray.  It was all we could get at time.

Debz

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:39 »
Anitaws, where do you get the anti peck bits from?  I have separated Poison Ivy now for about 4 weeks and the little minx still pecks the other two girls if I chance puting them together.  I even got the OH to make a divider for the run at the weekend but it is a hassle getting them separated and she is making herself egg bound becuase she wont lay when she doesn't have access to the original nest box even though my Dad made her a little day house of her own.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 13:12 »
Try the Domestic Fowl Trust.

That's where I got some.

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/products/Anti_Pecking_Products.html#aapb

They have some great tings there if you've time to look around

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/products/OUTDOOR.html#aT10

(I want.... ;) )
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 13:14 by Aunt Sally »

anitaws

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 17:32 »
Thanks Aunt Sally, I've not been able to log on for a couple of days.

I got mine from the domestic fowl trust.  I've not used the anti peck spray yet as she is definately still showing pecking behaviour.  We've decided to leave the ring on until she learns its a waste of time and try the anti peck spray on removal.  This way the other girls don't have to preen the yucki stuff off mean time.

I also work full time and have managed to divide our run but found it difficult.  Karen just be brave and determined to fit.  Rosie seemed to feel no pain and it didn't take long at all in determined hands.  Its definately stopped the feather plucking and she occasionally get the odd "go away" peck from the others when she keeps trying.

Anita

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 21:04 »
You could also try to give them some tinned salmon/tuna cat food, as they may need a little protein! Good luck.

HENrietta
Live, Love and Laugh!

anitaws

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 15:41 »
I never thought hens would go through tuna at that speed.  They beat my old (no longer with us) cat and old dog (still with us) hands down with no contest.

Thanks for the tip

Anita

Chicks@105

• Our Litte Project!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 07:41 »
We have started using the cat food as well.  Is it only Tuna and Salmon that we can give them or would any type of fish cat food be ok?  We were going to try using normal tins of tuna if you think it's a good idea.

We are using Stockholm tar still and this seems to have helped to an extent.  We have noticed the odd occassion that one of them is still pecking the others.  Hopefully using the Stockholm tar and giving the cat food might be enough to stop them.  If not I think it might be that the anit peck bits will need to be used.

Karen

anitaws

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 22:12 »
I have used the anti peck bit first and since they had their first tin of tuna I have noticed that there is actually the odd feather around their run.  I've never seen any feathers on the floor before and have noticed them eat their own as they fall out, never mind rosie starting to pluck iris. 

Is one tin of tuna a week a good idea? will this help my hens sufficiently?  What would you recommend as it does seem to be a good way of stopping them eating feathers none stop?

Next bank holiday weekend were going to anti peck spray the other 3 and remove rosies bit as we can keep a very close eye on her behaviour and see what happens.  She does seem to be showing less interest in the others.  I'm unsure if this is just the tuna or the fact that shes given up because she can pull feathers out.  I'm definitely sure shes fed up that she can't peck the grass when shes out of the run, she just has to watch the other 3 having a good nibble.

I'd love to know what you think.

thank you
Anita

xx
Age for anti peck spray

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 20:22
by evie2
xx
Anti Peck Sprays

Started by Andy J on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 20:03
by kimT
exclamation
ANTI PECK SPECS

Started by teaseldog on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 17:27
by nerdle
xx
Ukadex anti-peck spray - has anybody tried it.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 11:33
by poppies

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 36 queries.