The Last Straw!

• 19 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: The Last Straw!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 23:45 »
I have Virgin internet and phone.  It’s fibre all the way into the house.  Very stable and fast.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 01:02 »
We now have FTTP - Fibre To The Premises so instead of a normal Openreach socket we have a fibre connection that the DSL router connects into. There's no copper involved at all. We now get just under 100Mbs download and 20MBS upload. That's far more than we need at present but I remember moving from our modem to dual ISDN and thinking that was the bee's knees.
If we want we can upgrade to 900Mbs with a telephone call - that is more than small ISPs had when I was involved! Technology has moved on amazingly.
We still have a copper land line. In theory we could run telephones from our router and do away with the landline but if we get a power cut we would have no phone service. Even in a major power outage the phone system is powered with battery backups usually in the pavement next to the green boxes.
Our mobile connection is patchy so in an emergency, a landline makes the most sense.
Fascinating stuff  :D
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 09:22 »
It's that bad that Fortnum & Masons appear to have taken the Imperial Hamper off their web site. At £6,000 a snip! (seriously, appears sold out) I suppose we'll have to go to Harrods with the hoi poloi.

That reminds me of that episode of The Good Life, when Margot manages to upset the delivery drivers of her perfect Christmas in a box (from F&M I think?) and her and Jerry end up with nothing.

They wind up at Tom and Barbara’s pulling homemade crackers where you have to shout bang as there are no snaps in them and wearing newspaper hats.  After the initial shock and once they let go of their ideal Christmas, they end up having a fantastic time and feasting like kings on all the produce Tom and Barbara have made for themselves.

Seems like a good attitude to adopt given what is going on  :lol: 

Peapod burgundy anyone ... hic  ;)

Found it to watch if you want a blast of Christmas nostalgia  :D

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6w9zpv

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 10:18 by New shoot »

jezza

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2020, 15:57 »
Hello I thought Zen was off Startrek or Starwars  not Plus net that explains why you cant get your number back itll take light years to make a call,   jezza

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2020, 20:48 »
They actually did recover our number and telephoned to check all was OK now.

xx
Battered 'straw' hat.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2022, 07:30
by Growster...

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 44 queries.