Christmas Carols

• 12 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Christmas Carols
« on: December 14, 2020, 19:25 »
I read that yesterday was the third Sunday of Advent, called Gaudete (or Rejoicing) Sunday which reminded me of the carols we used to learn, and sing, at my school. I never made the actual choir 'cause I simply can't sing but love to listen to Carols
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDT-fZTJl3Q
 Gaudete by Aununa

Which is your favourite carol?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 19:29 by mumofstig »

GraciesGran

Re: Christmas Carols
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 07:16 »
Tricky question.  There are so many gorgeous ones that I don't think I can pick one,  like most things different carols have special significance and the power to reduce me to tears

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 16:57 »
I like most of the Carols, but I am a contralto voice, and some are very soprano.  But I do sing them at home - alone   :wacko:  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wighty

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 19:33 »
Small children singing Away in a Manger manages to reduce me to a blubbering heap every time. :D

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 19:43 »
To sing?
O come, O come, Emanuel (though that's advent really)
Joy to the World
Carol of the Bells
Coventry Carol
Sussex Carol
Torches (by Zoltan Kodaly)

Not much given to blubbering, but 2 will set me off:
It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
and
The West Wing series version of the Drummer Boy as music over the veteran's funeral.
They get me very time...  :blush:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 21:15 »
O come O come Emmanuel (another advent carol)
Once in royal David's city
In the bleak midwinter

Anything with a decent alto tune and/or descant (which to be honest, is most of them)

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 07:39 »
Many years ago - about 1962, a very young Growster was a member of his school choir, and they really took the carol concert seriously...

We started rehearsing the various carols from September onwards, and by December, we were word - and note, perfect, but this particular year, it didn't go to plan...

One of the pieces we sang was 'The Shepherds' Farewell', and every time I hear it, I'm reduced to a dribbling wreck, as it's such a beautiful song, and of course, the Kings' version is always going to be the best!

What happened was this...

Our choirmaster decided that we would sing each verse after the first couple of bars of organ accompaniment (which are so evocative by themselves anyway), and from then on, we'd sing each verse unaccompanied. He'd just play these two bars at the start of each verse, and then we'd be on our own.

But things went very wrong, and whether by natural causes, or some sort of choral gremlin's influence, at the end of each verse, we'd all dropped a semitone, and in one verse, a whole note, so when he played the intro chords for the next verse, we were well out!

It was rather sad really, as there was no reason why he couldn't have played 'sotto voce' behind all our efforts, but anyway, my Dad went and bought the complete Berlioz record on the strength of it all, so things weren't that bad were they...

Here it is, sung properly! (a very young Growster sang alto back then, but definitely not in this lovely clip)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_pyk3wmHGw&ab_channel=camusik96

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 20:49 »
I'd forgotten The Shepherd's Farewell, beautiful song and lovely to sing.

Did you ever do 3 Kings from Persian Lands Afar, counterpointed by How Brightly Shines the Morning Star?  Much the same feel.

(Yep.  I was in a choir too... :mad: )

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 05:12 »
I'd forgotten The Shepherd's Farewell, beautiful song and lovely to sing.

Did you ever do 3 Kings from Persian Lands Afar, counterpointed by How Brightly Shines the Morning Star?  Much the same feel.

(Yep.  I was in a choir too... :mad: )

That is a gorgeous carol, Basket!

By coincidence, we had a great tenor (baritone?) singer back then, and in the same concert as 'The Shepherd's Farewell', he sang it flawlessly!

The whole production of 'The Three Kings' is so rewarding - as an alto, we sang a sort of soft background 'descant' to the main words, and the structure remains as beautiful now as it ever was!

Mrs Growster had a lovely chum at her PE college around then, who took the lead part, so we often reminisce about those fabulous verses about now! Thanks for the memory!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 12:30 »
We were supposed to have a Choir come up the lane to sing Carols last evening at 6.30, but I went out, and they didn't appear.   It was pouring and howling a gale though.   Disappointed.    Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 17:00 »
That's not fair Mrs B, so I'll whistle this just for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIUlEUWKloM&ab_channel=Matatyt

;0)

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 22:51 »
And thank you for the memory Growster!

I'd forgotten how amazing it feels to be surrounded by a wall of harmonising sound...  (Mostly Soprano myself, although I used to enjoy singing 2nd Sop/mezzo more.  And have been known to join the tenors at a pinch...  :D )

Growing Weather

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 10:17 »
Carol Kirkwood

but only when she says the weather for the next week is going to be be warm and dry

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 52 queries.