russian vine
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 14:43 »
:lol:  :lol:

Why, of course, sorry - I forgot you were an Apple user ...  :wink:

Scribbler

russian vine
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 14:56 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

slinky

russian vine
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 19:36 »
the thing with my garden is that its quite small and i dont want to plant flowers everywhere and lose space.so my idea was keep the lawn free and just tart up the fence and make it pretty.im here every day with 2 kids so i reckon i can keep an eye on it and trim it often.or does it really grow too fast to keep up with.i know its sad but i got a wierd thing about not throwing living plants away,so i gotta do something with it!!!!im goin to post some pics of our garden and get everyone to give me ideas to make it nice too

Sally A

russian vine
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 19:40 »
I agree with all you say slinky, if a a plant has taken the trouble to grow, why kill it cos it's in the wrong place.

slinky

russian vine
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 11:36 »
right ive decided to put the vine on the fence and a climbing rose at the front of the house.so which rose shall i get???house gets full sun all day and it must be an easy rose to keep as it will have a clueless owner.!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
russian vine
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 21:08 »
Well Slinky just to show you what mine looks like, its quite a few years old now and at one point about 3 years ago died back by about 50%, it's now regained most of its former self and never seems to get any bigger than it is now, the photo was taken today.

It does occasionally insist on trying it on with the flowering cherry  :roll:

The big bushy plant on the left is not mine its the neighbours and its a evergreen honey suckle of some sort also very invasive, the odd white flower you see far right are climbing iceberg roses a lovely white rose that I planted to "lift" the north facing fence they are on.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
russian vine
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 21:41 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I agree with all you say slinky, if a a plant has taken the trouble to grow, why kill it cos it's in the wrong place.

I take it you don't bother with weeding then. Nettles, docks, thistles etc. belong in a field, but have grown in the wrong place on your allotment! :lol:  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

slinky

russian vine
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2007, 08:13 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Quote from: "Sally A"

I take it you don't bother with weeding then. Nettles, docks, thistles etc. belong in a field, but have grown in the wrong place on your allotment! :lol:  :lol:

strange you say that but i dopnt get any weeds!!!no honestly i dont.i only just realised that.

slinky

russian vine
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2007, 08:43 »
ok heres my garden.may not look like much but its my 1st garden and ive tried!!!
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

slinky

russian vine
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2007, 08:44 »
and the lawn is the next stage of work.we gotta smash some concrete up.that will be fun.but the russian vine i was going to put at the end of the garden so it covers the fence

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
russian vine
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2007, 09:36 »
Your gonna have to keep a russian vine under strict control in your garden slinky, it will probably span the length of your back fence within it's 2nd year.

Like I say I love mine but looking t the size of your plot your probably going to struggle to keep it under control without a lot of pruning, IMHO you would be better off not planting it due to your garden size.

You could always freecycle it if you don't want to kill it.

Go for some of the smaller clematis get a mix of early and late flowering to give you a mix of colours ( DONT buy clematis montana it can be a monster). You could put a flowering hydrangea on the back wall which will cover it in a few years and give you some nice flowers to boot.

WG.

russian vine
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2007, 09:41 »
I had the same thoughts RR7.  

Bear in mind that it won't stay tight onto the fence - it will want to create quite a wide shaded 'canopy' over your lawn area.

slinky

russian vine
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2007, 10:41 »
ok.i suppose i could give it to someone i dont like as a present!!! :lol:

trapper

russian vine
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2007, 20:15 »
Just the trick looking for some background cover for sensory garden i am creating for a care home I wanted a monster plant that will be vigorous and give quick cover!! but i will plant it in the farmers adjacent feld just over the fence!!!. Thanks for that chaps n chapesses!.
The things I sow sometimes dont grow I'm sorley disenchanted. But oh what fun I have with stuff ,I havn't even planted.

Darley

Rubbish!
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 22:15 »
Sorry but I just had to join this forum as I was searching the web for information on Russian Vine x Knotweed hybrids and came across this post! There is some rubbish posted on here, so let's get a few things straight:

1) Russian Vine is a twiner not a clinger, and needs support. It will not attach itself to your walls!

2) Ivy clings to your walls, but it does not damage them in any way UNLESS they are already in a poor state. If your walls are sound, Ivy will simply cling to the surface and not 'penetrate' them in any way.

3) Russian Vine IS a problem - if you let it get out of control. It will happily grow anywhere, anytime, and at an astounding rate. It grows vigorously for much of the year and as a result other plants cannot compete.

4) If properly pruned in spring it will grow just where you want it and reward you with thick bunches of creamy white flowers late in the summer, going strong well into the latter part of the year.

5) Do not let the growing tips of Russian Vine come into contact with the ground unless you want it to smother your land - it quickly roots and is difficult to get rid off once an underground network is established.

I moved to a house where a vine had been allowed free reign for many years, and had almost completely covered a 20 foot cherry tree, as well as spreading across the ground. It took a lot of time to get it back to a manageable size but now it flowers much more freely and at the moment (mid October) provides the only colour in my garden. Treat it with a firm respect and it is a very useful plant :)

xx
Russian Vine

Started by LittleRedHen on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 18:13
by 8doubles
xx
russian vine

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 20:38
by chrissie B
xx
Russian Vine - help needed.

Started by Bagpuss on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 20:14
by mkhenry
clip
Ailing Russian Vine

Started by cheshirecheese on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2018, 13:13
by cheshirecheese

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.