Chicken Treats

• 23 Replies

mad mark

• Experienced Member
Chicken Treats
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:16 »
My four beauties are settling into their new home really well. I am up early on these lovely spring mornings checking on them and adjusting the run which has had a total redesign since they arrived so I at six foot two can get into the shed to clean up.
They are really interested in people and Thea my daughter is feeding them from her hand. They get distraught when I am busy gardening and not paying them any attention. What treats do you guys feed your chickens and how often? Iam giving them layers pellets and I also have a sack of mixed corn. Any words of wisdom from the experts out there?
Zillions of thanks in advance.

Thought for the day:Never cut through a knot you can undo with your fingers.
Mad Mark

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken Treats
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:43 »
Hello Mark,
Pleased that your girls are settling in and glad to know they have you wrapped around their little wing tips.

Treats:  usually, mid-morning to mid-day now it's getting warmer and not too much either. 
My 9 girls enjoy apple, greens (I always wash if shop bought), soaked wholemeal bread, yoghurt and on really cold mornings, I gave them warm porridge or warm bread and water, with a dash of milk.

If I am not ready to let my girls free range, I take a small handful of corn when I release them from their smaller, inner secure-from-vermin run then when I am ready to exit their larger run, throw it to the far end and get out quick! 

Also have a small handful of corn each between 3 and 4 pm, too.

Hope this is of some help.

cathangirl.

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:56 »
Wow, do you give them a menu as well!!! Thanks some good ideas. My daughter has been nicking my cabbage leaves that I have grown all winter..... You do spoil yours by the sounds of it, I am sure they are happy by the sound of that menu.....
Mine are in a 12 x 6 run with an 8x6 ex garden shed also all fully enclosed as the garden is not secure and we have veg and plants we want to keep!!! Hope they will be happy and not too bored in there.....
Beautiful sunny day here so I am sure they will be enjoying it today, they didn't like the rain yesterday!!!!!

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:06 »
Ha ha.  No Mark, they don't get all of that in one go!  I vary it from day to day.

If you have brussel sprout or cabbage stalks spare, you could tie one up in their run and they'd love pecking at them.

We have extended the runs three times - as far as space allows - but let them free range in another fenced off area.  They have had a lovely time cleaning up my veg patch for the last 6 weeks, but now they are fenced away from it on a grassy area, though how long the grass will last is anyone's guess.  However, when I am out there digging said veg plot, I sling the creepy crawlies into their area.  They wait along the wire netting to see what's coming next!  They are hilarious.  All the bugs, etc. help make glorious golden yolks and the flavour of their eggs is out of this world!

How old are your girls, Mark and have you named them?

cathangirl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:14 »
I think this would be better in the Hen House, rather than Chatting On The Plot. Hold on tight & I'll move you!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:19 »
I held on tight and didn't feel a thing!  Thanks DD.
cathangirl

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:57 »
Not sure how old the girls are, they came from a Poultry supplier and they look about 14 weeks, they haven't got any head plumage yet, I have four different birds, my daughter chose them, a Ginger Ranger, a sussex light, a blue coloured lady and a black rock, I have taken some pictures so must put them up for you experts to give me the low down on when we might get eggs.  Am I right in thinking until they have the red plumage(whats the proper name?) they wont lay.
They have been in the nest boxes last night for a look, judging by the movement of the bedding, which is a first this week as most nights they have been on the silver birch perch all snuggled up together.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 20:22 »
The top bit is the comb and it goes red when the hen starts to lay.
cathangirl

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:40 »
Thanks Cathangirl. I think they are away of yet as no combs showing apart from on the white one but it is quite small yet. Will watch out, thanks....
 :)

gcb

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 18:17 »
My new birds go absolutely bonkers for dried meal worms. They also like sultanas. I give them a handful of each between them each day.They don't seem very keen on layers pellets though and turn their noses up at greens at the moment although they are enjoying my lawn at the moment. Had my girls 6 days now and love them to bits. They are yorkshire girls - hence charlotte, emily and anne.
geoff

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 19:16 »
If I had meal worms and sultanas every day (and if I was a hen), I'd ignore boring old layers pellets too, gcb.
Greens don't matter so much if they are getting plenty of grass, but if they are in a closed pen, hanging a stalk or two up gives them a bit of entertainment.
Nice thinking on their names.  I am a Bront fan.
cathangirl

David.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 21:15 »
Grapes are THE top treat for hens. The soft leftover ones are good enough to get them really excited.

linzechris

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 21:24 »
I agree with the grapes but also any fish products and live yoghurt which they really love. :)
Christine J Jeavons

sunshinemedic

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 22:55 »
Grapes are THE top treat for hens. The soft leftover ones are good enough to get them really excited.

It's really funny when they chase each other around fighting over the last grape! :lol:

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 11:57 »
Blimey grapes, yoghurt I will need to get a night job to pay for all these treats. Mine are going mad for the cabbage leaves my daughter keeps plucking off my prize spring cabbages.
They are enjoying their layers pellets as they are gone most mornings, I am mixing in corn as well, any thoughts on that??

xx
Chicken Treats

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 21:49
by matthew2riches
xx
Treats

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:30
by chooksbury
xx
Treats

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 20:33
by Newbie
xx
Treats and Veg

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 22:09
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 37 queries.