Sweet peppers

• 8 Replies

sclarke624

Sweet peppers
« on: September 08, 2010, 15:44 »
So far I have picked 20 from 30 plants outside.  There are another 79  :ohmy: to ripen.  Got the seeds free so well in the money hehe.

I've lost some they go all soft and mushy on the top the fruit that is and some have had holes in.

If bought seperate at Tesco's 100 peppers would cost £60.

Now just got to find someone who likes sweet peppers LOL.

Only joking they are all mine to eat.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet peppers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 16:40 »
Spoil sport  :tongue2:

What variety are they, as they are that good I think I had better try them :)

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 21:31 »
I started picking the greenhouse peppers on 5th August and picked another 8 today which I've chopped and frozen. Last week I made a tomato and pepper soup which was delicious and some have also gone into chutney. It's the great thing about having a lot of something - you have to be adventurous and think about how you can use/store them. A search of the recipe section of the site will give some good ideas.

tedsdad

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 21:38 »
Roast wholewith crushed garlic and olive oil.Cut in half then pack in sterilized jars in olive oil,a taste of the Med. in the middle of a nasty UK winter.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 22:21 by mumofstig »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 22:00 »
Or make some pepper paste for cooking, as per the instructions at Cevenol Kitchen.

I'd like to know the variety too, because I never seem to get more than about 4 or 5 peppers per plant. Still got plenty of flowers at the top, but too late for them now, so I suspect your variety just has a shorter length of time to maturity.

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 22:03 »
Varieties were Romano from Johnsons world kitchen, orange bell T&M, and california wonder from fothergills.  The Romano and california did best.
Shokky....started them early and live in the deep south sussex, so not too bad for ripening.  I only got 3 or four per plant as well, but have 30 plants.  Once when I grew them indoors in the south facing conservatory got loads on each plant, which is what the pkts say should happen if grown indoors.

Start in Feb.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 22:07 by sclarke624 »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 22:06 »
Varieties were Romano from Johnsons world kitchen, orange bell T&M, and california wonder from fothergills.  The Romano and california did best.

Thanks. When did you start them off? And have they been in a greenhouse or outside?

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 22:10 »
Posts crossed in the wire LOL
Started in Feb.  Indoors.  Put out in garden mostly against a warm wall, in May I think they were late out this year.  As you have probably read they are per (not attempting to spell that again) wotsit come up every year, but I haven't succeeded in this yet the plants just go mouldy on me.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 00:34 »
Posts crossed in the wire LOL
Started in Feb.  Indoors.  Put out in garden mostly against a warm wall, in May I think they were late out this year.  As you have probably read they are per (not attempting to spell that again) wotsit come up every year, but I haven't succeeded in this yet the plants just go mouldy on me.

Ta. I'm toying with the idea of trying to overwinter one or two, so I can get a head start next year. I know the spare bedroom would be the perfect place for overwintering my sweet and chilli peppers and aubergines, it's just a question of convincing the OH.

xx
sweet peppers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2021, 08:00
by Longshanks
xx
sweet peppers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2021, 21:00
by Mr Dog
xx
sweet peppers were hot!

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 21:33
by Annen
xx
Help with sweet peppers

Started by zopadooper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 17:41
by Snoop

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 34 queries.