Dirty Eggs

• 3 Replies

Prod

Dirty Eggs
« on: August 21, 2015, 14:55 »
I bought some eggs, off a well  known auction site, from different sellers and I appreciate that people say they cannot be held responsible for eggs going through the post but I wanted to try out my new incubator as my hens aren't laying yet. Sellers ask for feedback only on P&P, which is fine, but in one lot I purchased the eggs are dirty. Should I wash/wipe them before setting or not? I know that wiping eggs is not the best thing to do but I don't want to contaminate the other eggs I will be putting in.  Any advice???  Thanks

Sassy

Re: Dirty Eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 17:52 »
You're right it is not a good idea to use dirty eggs in an incubator. However, washing eggs is open to problems as well. There is a product that you can buy to wash eggs prior to incubation but I cannot think of name. Try Googling it or someone on here may be able to advise
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beekissed

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 20:54 »
I'd leave them be.  Eggs in a nest being incubated by a hen are often very dirty due to her feet and abdomen having dirt on them, due to other eggs in the nest breaking, etc.  As long as that bloom is in place they seem to do just fine but I've heard of folks trying to clean the eggs in these circumstances and it resulted in introduction of that dirt into the shell and the death of the chick. 

If the dirt is dry or eggs merely smudged looking, I'd just leave things be...it's likely they sent them to you that way for the same reason..didn't want to risk pushing that bacteria into the pores of the eggshell. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 21:38 »
I do agree with Beekissed about keeping the bloom on the eggs, it stops a lot of bacteria getting through the porous shell.

The reason commercial breeders use egg wash I think is more for preventing any infections geting to the new chicks as they hatch.

Ascott's do this one:

http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/bio-link-liquid-egg-wash/

but Brinsea have this advice!

http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/EggCleaning.aspx

Hope it helps  xxx

xx
Dirty eggs

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 17:37
by chickenlady
xx
Dirty Eggs

Started by RobinL on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 13:52
by compostqueen
xx
Dirty eggs!

Started by Penny Finn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 12:49
by Vember
xx
Cleaning dirty eggs

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 16:08
by Vickie & Richard

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.