Veggie stock and chickens

• 15 Replies

power_of_p3

Veggie stock and chickens
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:41 »
No, I don't want to cook them in it :tongue2: lol

Was just wondering whether, when I boild up the spud peelings, parsnips whatever, I could use the stock from it either in their water every once in a while or soak the layers pellets in it to add back any nutrition thats been lost or just to give them extra?

If I did, do you think they'd drink it?  Or might it tast too strange for them?

BB  ~~jo~~

Roughlee Handled

Re: Veggie stock and chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 11:47 »
I would suggest that you do not soak the pellets in the water, as if the pellets go mouldy then this is a major major problem. Drinking it I cant see a problem.  But why not when preparing the veg, boil up the trimmings, spud peal and all and left over veg and feed that to the chucks.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

power_of_p3

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 13:37 »
Hi roughlee,

That's what I do, it's all the leftover veg and peelings form the meals we eat.  And by soaking them I don't mean a whole load, i mean just enough for that meal tha tI am preparing right at that second.  The food won't be round long, not even an hour with ours lol :)  shall try them with a little in their water next time i boil it up.

BB ~~jo~~

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 13:47 »
I pressure cook all peelings in water for our girls and add dry porrage oats to soak up the water thats left. You can add cake, bread not too much, years ago I added layers mash. It was all gone in a flash the girls loved the cooked meals. Good for winter warm tummys.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 13:57 »
power_of_p3 how often do you feed them?  Do  you leave feed down for them all the time?

power_of_p3

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 15:57 »
Hi roughlee,

they have a couple handfuls of food left in the feeder for a few hours, and peelings and bits twice a day. the odd spinach leaf, tomato when i'm down there.  Am I not feeding them enough with them eating it so quickly?

BB ~~jo~~

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 16:05 »
Chickens are not like Cats or Dogs, they are more like cows and horse, with the way they eat. Chickens graze and have to have feed all the time they will not get fat if you are feeding them layers pellets.
I have a

It can handle 12 Kg's of feed.  I fill it and leave it. (the hat is important stops feed getting wet)
I do have 13 chucks though.

You can get these from
flytesofancy.co.uk

power_of_p3

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 17:44 »
Hiya,

Yeah I have one of those at the bottom, but without a hat as they are under cover anyway.  They do always have feed in it, I was worried about over feeding them.  So having this with plenty of feed in it throughout the day is ok then? 

I only have four so like I said I only put about four handfuls in at anyone time and always fill it up if it looks like it's beginning to empty and I don't know when I will next go to them.  Plus I throw a little bit of mixed seed on the ground for them to scrat for cause they havea barked area to do so in.

BB  ~~jo~~

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 17:46 »
ANy stock, veggie or otherwise, will have too much salt in it for them. Not good.  :unsure:

And as Roughlee says, they should have enough pellets available so that there are some left over at the end of the day. A very rough guide is around 100-125g of pellets per hen per day if I remember rightly.  :)

Rob 8)

power_of_p3

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 17:56 »
Ok Rob,

N ot to sound funny but it's just water with the veg boiled in it.  Surely if I just gave them raw peelings (obviously not the potato) that would have the same salt content as the boiled water that I boiled the veggies in? Hmmm

BB ~~jo~~

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 17:59 »
Boiling can concentrate any salts (natural or otherwise) due to evaporation.

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 19:43 »
Good point from both sides  :D

As a non-cook, I can't really coment further. I'll leave it to the experts to debate.  :)

Rob 8)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 20:12 »
Thanks Rob stir the * and run.  Great. >:(   :lol:

power_of_p3

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 12:19 »
Hey,

just an interesting point I found out last night.  I decided to weigh out 125g of pellets to see if I was feeding them about right, which I am :)

But anyways, I put the feed ina milk bottle and it usually lasts me 3-5 days, (depending on whether I fill it right up).  But what I did last night was I weighed out 450g (i have four birds) which is about a days worth of feed and put it into the bottle to mark it as a days feed and guess what...didn't even need to mark it...if you fill a 4pint milk carton to the top it's enough feed for four birds for four days...the pint mark if one day.

Just thought I would tell peeps, so that those starting out have a good rough guide if they have four birds too.

Thanks for the advice anyways guys, not sure I'll try the veggie water them but worht asking.

Oh, didn't really want to start a new thread for this one but I was just wondering if I have cider vinegar for cooking whether I could perhaps make it into apple cider vinegar by adding apples, (cause they contain the tannin right) and then letting it ferment for a few weeks or something, then it would have the roughage in it that make the unrefined apple cider good right?

Just a thought...I'm full of them lol

BB ~~jo~~

poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 12:28 »
Very useful tip there about the milk bottle.  :)

As for the ACV. Id go and buy some. Might be easier  :D

Rob 8)

xx
Stock items for new chickens

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 23:06
by dianer29
xx
Feeding veggie waste

Started by PJM on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2007, 16:32
by CHICKEN LICKEN
xx
Boiled veggie peelings

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 10:37
by agapanthus
xx
Stock Cockerel ?

Started by jaxchucks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 01:14
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 34 queries.