New Half Allotment - Potatoes and Raspberries - Best place to buy?

• 9 Replies

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Just taken on a half allotment and I'm going to keep it simple for the first year.

So I'm after sourcing lots of seed potatoes and lots of raspberry canes.

Any suggestions as to where to buy?

Many thanks

Adri
Peak Hives

Pescador

After some 40 years as a loyal customer of one particular company, I've recently switched to https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk   due to the quality of their plants and their customer service.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 19:30 by Pescador »
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
hi, do you know anyone that already has raspberry canes? they produce loads of runners which I am sure they would be glad to give to a good home.
for good value potatoes I think wilko is good. they have more choice this year in the nets.

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Will canes transplant ok?

I have some in another location and they could go up there.

Wilkos are already earmarked as the best place for tatties

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
I got some seed potatoes from Wilko and they were big and shooting. Long spindly shoots, not sprouts. Above hens egg size there is little to gain but you get less potatoes per kilo. I'll be cutting some into 2.
Our local garden centre does seed potatoes in pick your own bins - slightly dearer but much better value for money.
First time Wilko has really let me down on these :(
Can't say too much but I may have a good deal on some Sarpo seed potatoes in the next few days.
Not too late to stick some broad beans in - and lots can still be sown Follow the March Jobs link in the main menu above.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Will canes transplant ok?

I have some in another location and they could go up there.

Yes, but you need to get on with it.  They will be starting into growth already, but if you get them moved and keep them watered, they should be fine.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
canes are shallow rooted so as long as you have plenty of fibrous roots, water well they should take ok.
 you have nothing to loose if the canes are "surplus"

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I tend to suggest that you don't plant anything permanent in the first year of a plot, so that you can check what is already in there, and assess the pros and cons of the plot - drainage, fertility, sun etc.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
Don't know whereabouts in the Peak District you live, but given the fact that some garden centres will probably be getting low in stocks of some seed potatoes there is safety in numbers in the Coal Aston area (Wards, Ferndale, and New Leaf garden centres all within a couple of miles of each other., the second 2 almost next door to each other.)

Last year all were selling bagged and loose seed potatoes, and he first 2 both have cafes if you get hungry or thirsty. (Didn't need to go further than New Leaf this year, so can't give you the up to date situation on the other 2.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Tideswell.

Went to Wilko in Matlock.  3 for 2 offer so now have loads of Charlotte seed tattys chitting.

Thanks.

Adri

clip
New half Allotment -

Started by whitehill1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2018, 07:01
by paul sadler
xx
Potatoes and the best place to buy them from?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2016, 17:50
by fallen angel
xx
B&Q seed potatoes half price!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 09:30
by aelf
clip
Half plot allotment

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 21:30
by GreyScales

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 51 queries.