Univited fishing!

• 26 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Univited fishing!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 09:22 »
The heron has been back and killed at least one of our 2 remaining goldfish.    :(   I am not sure if it took and ate the smaller one as I can't see it in the pond.  Can't see our fantail either but it is a really dark brown/bronze so is difficult to see.

Found the dead fish on paving where I had seen evidence of a frog being taken last week (brown muddy slime on paving).  Such a waste to kill and not eat the fish.   >:(

Heron killed goldfish 002 (508 x 381).jpg
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 09:41 »
And there was me cross about one being taken!

With all the rain we've had I'm hoping that the fish I haven't seen since the uninvited fishing are hiding deeper in the water amongst the plants. We did have 20+ tiddlers hatched last spring but I can only see two.  :(

It might be a bit late to ask but: Have you covered your pond with a net ANHBUC?

Short canes with ping-pong balls on the top around the pond's edge would raise the net up sufficiently to prevent a heron's beak reaching the water perhaps.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:55 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

LilacSandy

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47 »
Unfortunately with Herons or Kingfishers if they find an unprotected pond they will keep coming back until they have killed or eaten everything there, its understandable as the fish cannot get away so it looks like one big restaurant for fishers.

ANHBUC

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 09:50 »
The pond is very large with railway sleepers as a boundry so is difficult to cover.  We did put some fishing wire round the edges one year to stop the heron from reaching the fish.  A female blackbird became entangled and drowned which really upset us.  We will just have to let nature take its course I think.

We do have chimney pots in the pond and plenty of plant cover for them.

I think the rain has helped the heron as the water is quite clear.  Will check later to see if I can do a fish count.

Trillium

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 15:26 »
A friend had that same problem in his pond. But he eventually strung fishing wire haphazardly right across the pond and pegged it down at the sides. It was enough to deter the herons (and save his fish) yet not let any small birds get caught.

If that isn't an option, then providing a bit more plant cover for the fish will help. You can't catch what you can't see.

evie2

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 15:46 »
For us it wasn't the heron taking our fish, it was a neighbours cat, we caught it fishing >:( and the neighbour (we'd never met before) from down the road who came asking for some fish from the pond because, 'they're nice looking fish, you've got plenty so I thought I'd put a pond in and have some' :blink: we said get stuffed no but a few days later noticed there were hardly any left in the pond  :blink: >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

ANHBUC

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 21:01 »
 :) well the small goldfish is still alive and swimming!  Haven't seen the fantail yet but it is hard to spot so I am hopeful. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 10:44 »
Rent a pike!

I wonder if putting one giant size hungry pike in the pond (once the littuns have gone off for a short holiday somewhere) might give the neighbouring fishers the idea that it's "no fishing here!"  :tongue2:

8doubles

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 12:39 »
Rent a pike!

I wonder if putting one giant size hungry pike in the pond (once the littuns have gone off for a short holiday somewhere) might give the neighbouring fishers the idea that it's "no fishing here!"  :tongue2:

Why mess about.......get a Gator ! :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 17:08 »
Rent a pike!

Why mess about.......get a Gator ! :)

Now you're talking!  :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 21:14 »
 :D  Fantail is still with us.  So relieved as it was originally in a tank in our youngest daughters bedroom.  It has been in the pond for over 8 years and has really grown big.  I wasn't looking forward to ringing her a Uni to say the heron had got Floofy fish!   :wub:  Big sigh

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 21:39 »
:D  Fantail is still with us.  So relieved as it was originally in a tank in our youngest daughters bedroom.  It has been in the pond for over 8 years and has really grown big.  I wasn't looking forward to ringing her a Uni to say the heron had got Floofy fish!   :wub:  Big sigh

:happy:

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 36 queries.