Apps - help - new phone - help

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

Apps - help - new phone - help
« on: September 29, 2022, 15:46 »
I get newsletters from local G/C and similar, which often say things like, buy one coffee, get one free, on production of thi app.

I am considering buying a mobile, Doro seems quite good for oldsters like me.  I need it to be hearing aid compatible, take photos that I can send on, and use these apps  :mad:  I don't have the first idea about any of this stuff.  Is this the same as whatapps.    What are they ?     
Also make easy contact in emergencies, etc etc.       Perhaps, I should just buy two cuppas.

Can anybody help me through this.   I don't want to spend more that about £80, and then use PAYG.

Cheers and thanks,    Mrs Bouquet  :wacko:
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Apps - help - new phone - help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 16:50 »
I am not familiar with Doro phones Mrs B, but it seems they are on the case already explaining apps to you:

https://www.doro.com/en-gb/support/smartphone-school/applications/

An app is just a mini cut down version of a big computer programme which does a specific job.  A programme like a spreadsheet or accounts programme does all sorts.  An app just does a few things e.g. for a loyalty card scheme, which sounds like what you want to use, it lets you have an account you can see, will display vouchers with barcodes that till staff can scan to give you your goodies at the garden centre and basic stuff like that.  It would be specific to that garden centre chain and let them communicate with you about their offers.  What is in it for them is that it builds loyalty to their brand and they will be able to track a few basic details about your spending pattern with them.  My Co-op app gives me weekly vouchers I can choose from and they target what I buy regularly, because every time I scan my card at the till they can extract some data from that.

WhatsApp is like text, but is useful for groups e.g. I am site rep at our allotments and most plot holders are members of a WhatsApp group I set up.  We can share a conversation together (like we do on here) but only members of the group can see it.  You can also WhatsApp anyone in your contacts on your phone who uses it, but if it all seems a bit daunting, it is the same as a text so you could get by without it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 18:12 »
If you are on PAYG, then you will pay to use data as well as make calls etc. unless you're logged onto a wi-fi signal.

Some of these apps will allow you to download the vouchers to the phone in advance, so you don't need to use PAYG data when you show the voucher. Some may not allow this, so you need to be online via PAYG or wi-fi at the point of presenting the voucher.

Just something to be aware of.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 19:46 »
My very old iPhone is adequate for my needs, texts, messenger, WhatsApp. I pay £6 a month for unlimited texts & calls. I have various apps on it but I only download them when I am at home & it logs on to my Wi-Fi.
Have you not got a young bod that can sort you out?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 14:07 »
My very old iPhone is adequate for my needs, texts, messenger, WhatsApp. I pay £6 a month for unlimited texts & calls. I have various apps on it but I only download them when I am at home & it logs on to my Wi-Fi.
Have you not got a young bod that can sort you out?
Sorry no young bods around me.   Where do I go to get £6/month, that sounds good.    I notice today, my paper is full of little zig-zag squares which say scan me for:-  whatever, which I may not want anyway.
An example of the back page is an advert from Asda.  It says download the app now for rewards.
At the bottom it says download on the app store, with an apple picture.     Or get it on Google Play.
What does that mean I do.  Do I put the mobile over the square ??  :( :(  OMG, I am so technaphobic.
Mrs B

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 15:59 »
I pay £6 a month with gif gaf, also get internet usage but can’t remember how much, I don’t often run out & I do use it.
As for your paper & those little Doty squares they are qr codes that if your phone has a camera, you switch that feature on hold the phone over it, it will scan it, then you get a pop up bit that you tap & you go straight to the web page….but only if you have access to the internet!!
I know lots of people don’t like Apple- iPhones & iPads & the like but they are incredibly easy to use & are intuitive.
Mrs B I know you have an iPad, so an iPhone would link to that & visa versa. Can your daughter & son in law next door not help with the practicalities of it? After all you helped them so much when your son in law was taken ill!
Only thing is with an iPhone I don’t know if there’s something to help with your profound deafness but if you went into an apple shop they could help or get your daughter to research it for you after all she knows your issues.
That’s not to say  we don’t mind you asking here.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 14:49 »
Reading all your helpful replies, it sounds like I need "apps".   Might not have the need for "whatapps"

Who mentioned daughter - yes right.   they may live next door but ......

I shall treck Asda/ Tesco etc and the other phone shops.  And try to get myself sorted.  Thanks friends.  Mrs B

xx
Phone oddity.

Started by Welsh Merf on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2021, 11:47
by Welsh Merf
xx
Phone advice please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2021, 05:35
by Growster...
xx
Missing phone charger - help!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 02, 2023, 08:43
by Goosegirl
xx
Mobile phone question

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 22, 2019, 08:43
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 47 queries.