Phone oddity.

• 5 Replies

Welsh Merf

Phone oddity.
« on: June 18, 2021, 09:38 »
So, I have a Samsung Galaxy A50 mobile phone. It is ideal for me: right size, operating system, speed, storage, etc.

I recently had a problem with it, one which I've never heard of happening before to anyone, on any phone.

I'm outside, away from a "wife" signal, so relying on 4G, which is displayed at the top corner of the screen. It connects to the Met Office app instantly, and correctly updates it to the present date and time. All is good with the world. HOWEVER . . . it is the only Internet connection it will make, i.e. it will not connect to anything else, other than the Met Office . . . no BBC, Facebook, Google searches or anything like that, instead I have a message that tells me there's no Internet connection.

I took it back to the supplier, who carried out many checks, and agreed there was a connectivity issue, but nothing to do with the SIM card, so the phone has gone to hospital. Due back any day now.

Has anybody else had an issue like this, whereby your phone only connects to one particular website, and doesn't want to play with anybody else?  :ohmy: :wub:
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Lardman

Re: Phone oddity.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 12:26 »
You could have a cached copy of the met office site if it's web based and you're not really connected to the internet or you could have your DNS settings set for something that can't be reached. Next time it happens try going to google via ip address 74.125.140.147 rather than domain.  If you get there - it's DNS if you don't it's likely you're not connected to the internet or have blocked the browser / apps from internet access on 4G. The phone themselves however confuse me  :nowink:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 14:06 »
Confused    :lol: :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 18:51 »
You could have a cached copy of the met office site if it's web based and you're not really connected to the internet or you could have your DNS settings set for something that can't be reached. Next time it happens try going to google via ip address 74.125.140.147 rather than domain.  If you get there - it's DNS if you don't it's likely you're not connected to the internet or have blocked the browser / apps from internet access on 4G. The phone themselves however confuse me  :nowink:
What? I'm fluent Welsh, but I'm quite literate at the old England thing; however, I have absolutely no idea what you said. To put it into perspective, I'm a retired mechanical and projects engineer. I'm sure you mean well, and thank you very much, but layman's terms is good for me when it comes to electrics and electronics.

Ta!
Merf.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 15:50 »
Hello go into connections then  mobile  networks if it shows VoLTE 1 sim  turn the setting off,its a mobile signal blocker that the network supplier puts on to stop 4G broadband network connections ,when it's turned on my phone only has 2G and 3G  then asks for extra charges for 4G,I cant get this site if its turned on only cricket coverage jezza

Welsh Merf

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 11:47 »
The phone is back now, having had various parts replaced, including internal antenna, some signal thingy, and various other electronic bits and bobs. Works just dandy now.

xx
Apps - help - new phone - help

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2022, 14:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Phone advice please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2021, 05:35
by Growster...
xx
Replacing my mobile phone

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2022, 20:34
by jezza
xx
Phone Line Fault

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 17:22
by grinling

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 44 queries.