garlic advice needed

• 19 Replies

Trillium

Re: garlic advice needed
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 19:37 »
I'd be worried if mine didn't put up some green shoots before snowfall. That shows they've taken and are growing nicely. And I can fill empty spots with more cloves. They'll slowly grow through the winter despite freezing soil and be ready to shoot up soon as warmer weather hits (aka not freezing).

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 11:41 »
Hi Dave,
I hope the triple fusion works for you, arthritus is a horrible painfull thing,  I admire you at least you are keeping yourself active and not just sitting there feeling sorry for yourself. My sister has arthritus and she is like you she will not let it beat her she does as much as she can.  Am going down lotty tomorow and planting my garlic.
Mandy

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 12:21 »
hi all,i have planted my garlic about a week and a half ago now and its the first time in autumn.can you tell me is it normal for them to be sprouting out of the ground already for the winter.
                thanks dave
Hi Dave,
You may find the garlic's a bit prone to flowering as they'll put a fair bit of growth on before winter - I'm with trillium, what you want is a bit of growth, too much and they start forming flower cells a bit early in the bulb.
If they put up flower shoots just cut them off and you should get a nice crop.
The flowers are strangely beautiful and leaving them probably only reduces the crop a little. :wub:

I've developed arthritis in my neck. It's trapped a nerve and sends pins and needles all down my arm. Lost the feeling in my index finger but far more copeable than you, poor thing  :(.

alfman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 14:36 »
 No problems davethespread, we have a gardening program on Radio Humberside every sunday morning for two hours. between 8 and10 o'clock ( give it a listen online if you get the chance,) and the expert on there last week said that he was going to put his garlic in this week. I put mine in 2 weeks ago but havn't seen anything through yet but keeping my eyes open.

davethespread

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 18:22 »
thank-you all :D
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

xx
Garlic advice needed

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 16:36
by mumofstig
xx
onion/garlic advice needed

Started by seneca on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 22:04
by Lottiegob
xx
Garlic in rotation help needed

Started by Staddy Coastie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 18:42
by Staddy Coastie
xx
advice needed

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 13:35
by peterjf

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 35 queries.