BobE

Re: Rejuvenating the Greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 22:31 »
Greenhouse Damage
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 22:32 by BobE »

BobE

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 22:33 »
100 MPH winds in March.  Once one panel comes out the wind gets inside and tears it apart.

coop-de-tat

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 00:18 »
100 MPH winds in March.  Once one panel comes out the wind gets inside and tears it apart.

<gulp>

Was that John + Vals? Is there a thread on here telling the story?

I think I should be OK when I bolt the whole kaboosh down. As I wrote the GH is sheltered from most of wind with a fence and very high/thick privets on one side, luckily enough from where the wind direction predominates (to the east) I sacrifice a little morning sun because of this but it's swings and roundabouts give and take etc........

CdT
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 00:19 by coop-de-tat »
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit.

BobE

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 00:28 »
This is the link to the diary entry that contains the story.

http://allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/fron-dirion-tour/

BobE

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 00:39 »

Dramatic isnt it.
The year before last I converted my inherited with the house 6 x 8 greenhouse to twinwall.  It was originally 4mm glass.  Lots of cracks some missing panes.  I ordered 4mm Twinwall.  So I used the tape top and bottom.  I replaced each panel one at a time.  I redid the door.  Wherever possible I used a large sheet, the glass was several sheets in each panel.
Winter, a side panel blew out, that let the wind in and it blew out a roof panel and another side panel.  Next day I fitted extra springs, 8 springs on each long side.  The roof panels tended to bow slightly and that was how the wind got in.  So Ive now fitted timber strips, on the inside to tension and remove the sag in the roof sheets.  This is along the ridge line.
Last winter, not a problem, nothing was damaged.  However the tape was just falling off and was trailing all over.  I removed it.

My greenhouse is screwed down into a solid concrete base made of thick edging blocks.  I did not have the problem that John had.  A lot of that, John admits, was the exposed position.  However, screw it down, tight.  The wood base is not enough, screw it to concrete.  If you do as you say it sounds pretty good to me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 00:41 by BobE »

coop-de-tat

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 01:00 »
TY Bob, will take heed of your advice...........

CdT

coop-de-tat

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 19:19 »
At last!

Finished the glazing..........

Moved in my little trio of tommies and my solitary chilli plant. I'm hoping to start a cuttings regime soon so will quickly fill up my staging with odds and sods. Thanks guys for the advice and the interest.

Onwards and Upwards!

CdT

BobE

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 19:23 »
Ahh, I thought about you yesterday.  I read on here, someware, that a good way to protect your GH from wind is to put a dexion frame along both long sides.  Screw it to the GH frame.  Put in end pieces and then a shelf crossbar.  The shelf slats can be removed to give full height when you need it.  The dexion being screwed to the frame strengthens the frame and if you put the slats in over winter it weighs it down.

Picture looks good.  excellent work.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 19:24 by BobE »

coop-de-tat

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 20:01 »
I used 4 sturdy brackets, one on each corner, bolting the base down to the concrete block footings. The frame is well screwed to the base. The GH was in this position for 20 years or so (unbolted)  without toppling in the wind but that was with a full set of glass weighing it down. I think it will be safe now.........

Had to google Dexion :=]  That stuff looks very handy but not cheap, will take me a bit of buttering up of the Missus to extend my gardening budget (again) Could do with some in my shed as it happens...........

CdT

BobE

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 20:45 »
 :D

compostqueen

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 23:01 »
I see your chicken is admiring your handiwork. Or does she have an eye on those tomatoes  :D

coop-de-tat

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 23:14 »
I see your chicken is admiring your handiwork. Or does she have an eye on those tomatoes  :D

The girls quite enjoyed using the GH floor as a massive dustbath. Sadly the frolics have now come to an end for them since it's all been glazed. I'm hoping they'll use that soil filled Belfast sink you can see in the background :=]

Guaranteed I'll forget to close the door one day though.............

CdT

compostqueen

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 09:35 »
You will unfortunately, it's an inevitability. When you do it'll be carnage I'm afraid. They eat everything  :D
Their little beaks are like razors, scything everything off. Bless  :nowink:

You'll be amazed at just how much you can rear and grow in a greenhouse that size. It opens up all sorts of opportunities that you didn't have before, allowing you to extend your range.

coop-de-tat

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 20:49 »
You'll be amazed at just how much you can rear and grow in a greenhouse that size. It opens up all sorts of opportunities that you didn't have before, allowing you to extend your range.

Tell me about it :=] It's filling up already. I already have plans, the choices available are bewildering but I think I'm going to go for chillies, tommies and lemon cucumbers.............

CdT

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 22:41 »
and the rest..................................

:lol:

question
Used greenhouse

Started by Windsong on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 17:08
by Trillium
xx
B&Q Greenhouse

Started by carlrmj on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 12:12
by carlrmj
xx
eco greenhouse

Started by gladis on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 15:19
by grinling
xx
Greenhouse Help

Started by dcleak on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 20:24
by dcleak

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.