Rejuvenating the Greenhouse

• 32 Replies

coop-de-tat

Rejuvenating the Greenhouse
« on: August 02, 2013, 18:33 »
My parents gave me this aluminium greenhouse about 20 years ago. I haven't used it for it's intended purpose for a few years now but I am biting the bullet and trying to bring it back to it's former glory.

The basic frame is solid and in great nick for it's age. I gave it a good going over with the pressure washer today and it came up a treat. The door works fine, it's standing on concrete blocks and they seem solid also. Roughly 2 thirds of the glass is missing though and the base is kaput. I have cleaned up the remaining glass and will be completing with polycarbonate sheets.

I will be making a sturdy wooden base with some good 200 x 30 mm planks and 200 x 200mm block timber  I have lying about. I wanted to make raised beds either side in the house with a paving slab walkway between and also build in some staging with some 50mm batten and grid mesh.

I'm planning to finish this little project within about a fortnight.

My evil plans include some naga and scotch bonnet chillies here next year along with the customary tommys and cucumbers :=]

Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Rejuvenating the Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 19:33 »
It looks the same as mine - nice to know they last that long  ::) :lol:

Good luck with the project !

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 21:42 »
It looks similar to the one Brian bought his Dad in 1966, which now sits in our garden!

It's still going strong!

The only thing is, once you get all those seedlings coming up, the greenhouse won't be big enough! lol
greenhouse 006.JPG

coop-de-tat

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 23:29 »
It looks similar to the one Brian bought his Dad in 1966, which now sits in our garden!

It's still going strong!

The only thing is, once you get all those seedlings coming up, the greenhouse won't be big enough! lol

Very similar GA. I'm quite impressed with the quality of the build of it considering it's age. I dread to think how much a new one of similar quality would knock me back. I ordered the polycarbonate today from this e-bayer.....

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Omega-Roofing-Plastics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I bought 15 sheets of 730mm x 1220mm (that's 28" x 48" or so in old money :=]) Along with some double-sided glazing foam and new clips etc.

Anyway, I removed the badly corroded base on Saturday. Tomorrow (if the weather permits) I'll use that as a template for making a wooden one to replace it. Will be using a few spare paving slabs I have for a central walkway and probably have a raised bed either side. In fact I was looking at these (from http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/greenhouse-grow-beds-x3-pid4289.html The price seems reasonable and saves me more effort.

Has anyone used this type of growbed before? They seem quite cheap at £12 for 3, I wonder how long they will last? The big attraction to me is that they are portable...........

As soon as I get some weather I'll get stuck in and bore y'all with more pix :=]

CdT

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:49 »
I have inherited two greenhouses like that but they were completely covered by trees and brambles, and a large sycamore growing between the two of them, bending the frame

I have restored them and for three years now they've been producing tons of chillies, toms, peppers and cucumbers

The house owner didn't know they were there or he would have charged me extra  :D

coop-de-tat

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 00:20 »
I have restored them and for three years now they've been producing tons of chillies, toms, peppers and cucumbers

Great minds think alike :=]

The polycarbonate glazing arrived today. I've pressure-washed the frame, dug over and raked the GH earth, laid a walkway, made and installed a replacement base, I was just about ready to install the glazing when I realized I need breathable and stopper tape grrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm hoping I can get these locally and not have to wait days for delivery.

Anyway here's a couple of pics.

Toodle pip.

The Base

Ready to glaze......

BobE

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 23:34 »
That breather, stopper tape.  Well after last winter I think its a waste of time.  The bottom tape opened up and peeled away and although the sealer tape has done better several panels have lost the tape.  Now I did use twin wall to replace 4mm glass, and over last winters winds I had to put on lots of extra springs, to stop the panels coming out.  In the end 8 springs per side worked.  Also I had to put some packing strips along the roof bar, from the inside to control the panel tension. I won't use that tape again to be honest.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 10:19 »
You can use the glazing clips to hold the polycarb in.  I would have thought. I'm no expert though :D

It's looking good  :)  the only thing with polycarb though is that it goes dirty looking and opaque. Mind you a bit of shade from the hot sun is no bad thing but it just looks dull at the side of real glass.  It is dangerous though, unless it's toughened, which is where polycarb comes into its own

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 14:48 »
That's looking good C-de-T  :D

Just a comment on those Marshall's bags: they re fine but if you can grow into border soil watering is much more consistent and the plants get a much better root run with a depth of soil.

If you take out about a third of the soil every other year and replace it with garden soil plus home made compost it never runs out of steam, and it helps avoid disease build up too.

Great project  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

coop-de-tat

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 21:19 »
Thanks for the comments folks.......

That's looking good C-de-T  :D
Just a comment on those Marshall's bags: they re fine but if you can grow into border soil watering is much more consistent and the plants get a much better root run with a depth of soil.
If you take out about a third of the soil every other year and replace it with garden soil plus home made compost it never runs out of steam, and it helps avoid disease build up too.
Great project  :D

I agree, the Marshall bags seemed attractive mainly because of portability and, if I'm honest, my innate laziness :=] I probably will go with growing in the existing soil, my last set of chickens were using the  GH as a run a couple of years ago and the soil will be quite fertile I imagine.

Work on the project came to a halt today, I ran out of glazing foam and W-clips as I under-estimated how much was needed.

About the tape Bob, I ordered 2 rolls of foil-tape mistakenly and didn't even use breather tape. I have read elsewhere that breather tape is not absolutely essential so I'm just going ahead with just the foil. I'll also put in extra clips when they arrive.

Anyway, as soon as it's glazed I'll post a pic........

Tally Ho.

CdT

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 21:20 by coop-de-tat »

BobE

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 21:25 »
The foil tape is to block the head of the panel, the idea is to stop water getting in.  The breather tape is to let any water get out from the bottom.  Both will peel off after a single winter.  This spring I just pressure washed the panels and it looks ok to me.  I suppose the over time risk is algie and moss getting into the twinwall.

It looks nice.

coop-de-tat

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 21:40 »
The foil tape is to block the head of the panel, the idea is to stop water getting in.  The breather tape is to let any water get out from the bottom.  Both will peel off after a single winter. 

TY Bob. I wondered myself how long the tape would last, although the GH is in quite a sheltered position, I live on a hillside overlooking the Bristol Channel and the weather can whip it good up here fairly often. Hopefully though I'll get several years of nice tommys/cucs/peppers in lieu of my outlay and sweat the last few days :=]

CdT

BobE

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 21:46 »
Im sure the GH will be fine, and will give you many years of service. That tape just gets hit by the water and cold and it just comes off.  Ive found that the GH is still ok,  but over time I can see stuff getting into the twinwall.  I just thought I would deal with that when it happens.  This year, this summer, a year after doing it, it all looks ok.  I like the plastic better than the glass, its slightly cooler inside and there is no glare.  Good stuff.

Be aware of wind damage, the plastic is paper light.  At least 8 clips per side.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 21:47 by BobE »

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 21:53 »
Have you secured the base down particularly if you get strong winds,look what happened to John & Vals.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

coop-de-tat

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 22:23 »
Have you secured the base down particularly if you get strong winds,look what happened to John & Vals.

No I haven't fixed it down yet, as it happens my daughter helped me out the other day by getting up a ladder to put some glazing foam on the roof openings, she's only about 7 stone soaking wet but the GH moved, I've got some steel brackets, I'll screw them to the base + corner blocks. So unless we get a tornado they should hold it :=]

BTW what happened to John and Val?

CdT

xx
First greenhouse

Started by timn on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 19:44
by timn
xx
DIY Greenhouse

Started by mum2many on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 22:12
by noshed
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Tykelad on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 22:39
by Paul Plots
question
Used greenhouse

Started by Windsong on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 17:08
by Trillium

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 34 queries.