Poultry and Pets > The Hen House

Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

<< < (2/100) > >>

iwantanallotment:
I'm worried about that too, Upert. It doesn't help that my dozy lot are digging along the fence to help him in  :mad: There are deep gravel boards buried below my fence that I thought would render the fence safe.......no way, with these JCB diggers  >:(

Got to think of plan B now. My worry isn't how deep the fox will dig, but my daft girlies to welcome him in ::)

"L" shaped fencing is a good deterrent Upert, to bury wire at an angle - so that after so much digging, the fox will hit a "plate" of wire and not be able to dig any further.
Think I need to do that too, to secure my JCB crew.

Sorry if that's not too clear....just think of an L.

dizzylizzie:
glad im not the only one with chickens that dig...i dont mind the dust baths,its the digging to australia that botheres me lol :D...im sure they are hiding shovels under all thoes lovely new feathers :D

too many girls:

--- Quote from: Jeanette on September 19, 2009, 16:14 ---Please Please take care i lost my chooks to a fox at 3-30 in the afternoon last year.

--- End quote ---

me too 35 of them in the space of a couple of hours :(

North Devon Dumpling:
We found a fox at the bottom of the garden this morning about 11am, the closest we have ever seen one.  We always keep a general look out anyway but were surprised to see one this close.  Will have to keep vigilent and maybe start keeping the girls in their run again - they will hate it and make lots of noise but at least they will be safe (still working on the electic fence enclosure project!).

Thrift:
Yes, we lost two hens to Reynard at around 3pm on both occasions.

Our main problem has been maturing cubs out practising 'the hunt' and the silly girls going walkabout in the fields!

Having been dogless for a year maybe we should take the plunge and get them a minder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version