beetroot

• 12 Replies

Teabag

beetroot
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:53 »
Is it viable to sow beetrooot seeds into trays then transplant or is it best to sow directly into the ground then transplant ?

Lee1978

beetroot
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:58 »
I would stick em straight in the ground, they will be fine, but some people do bring em on in thr greenhouse. :)

Trillium

beetroot
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 16:11 »
I tried several times to pot beetroot seeds then plant out, and I found that the results weren't nearly as good or fast as when I direct seeded them.  Started beets will definitely grow, but moving them definitely sets them back.

millie C

beetroot
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 20:30 »
I sowed beetroot seeds directly into open raised bed last week and they are up already and looking good.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
beetroot
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 20:32 »
Another vote for in the open.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

beetroot
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 20:59 »
Especially at this time of year, on your location. Chuck them in the garden, quick. :tongue2:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sawnee

• Experienced Member
beetroot
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 21:08 »
Quote from: "millie C"
I sowed beetroot seeds directly into open raised bed last week and they are up already and looking good.

Me too  :D
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

ruth82

beetroot
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 23:35 »
I sowed some directly in the second week of April and they have done nothing at all, I think I may have been a bit early even though the pack said from April (I'm starting to learn that the back of the seed packets don't always tell whole the truth).

I then started some in paper pots and they all died as soon as I transplanted them so that doesn't work either.

So basically I'm not doing very well, but I had some more seeds so I went for one last go directly in the ground, fingers crossed.
Rabbits are NOT cute

Ice

• muck spreader
beetroot
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 23:39 »
Quote from: "sawnee"
Quote from: "millie C"

Me too  :D
Me three.
Cheese makes everything better.

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
beetroot
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 23:50 »
Quote from: "DD."
Another vote for in the open.

I've had a go this year with these paper pots of Rich's, and out of 24, about 20 have sprouted, indoors in an unheated spare room, in the last few days.  I'm looking at cold framing them with the top half-open, maybe even tomorrow, and putting the whole paper pot in the ground by the end of this week.  I'll let you know how it pans out.

I lost nearly all last year cos of the cold and wet, probably being too early - though come to think April was nice, it was just the rest of the 'summer'.  I don't think we could use last year as any kind of example for any crop.  I suspected old seed as well and told myself that I would get some fresh, but I never have and the sprouting rates tell me that the seed is ok after all, even another year on.  Being so cold and wet for so long this year (which has also hampered ground preparation to some degree) has been the reason for me deciding to try the paper pots, before it got too late.

gobs

beetroot
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 06:20 »
Quote from: "Tinbasher"

these paper pots of Rich's, and out of 24, about 20 have sprouted

:shock:  :shock: What are you planning with the harvest? :lol:

sharpie

Beetroot
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 14:35 »
Not sure if it will succeed but I'm trying the 'guttering' technique for my beetroot this season; just sowed 'Pronto' yesterday into half-round guttering, put them into greenhouse, wait til they've emerged and got some growth....then slide into situ! Did it with my mangetout and Hurst Greenshaft peas for a bed full of instant green-ness on Sunday. Amazing! Let you know how the beet goes on!   :)
Never judge a carrot by its size.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
beetroot
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 14:44 »
I always start some off early, then transplant and they grow on well to give me early beets, however now spring has sprung they are direct in the ground.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Beetroot

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 15:11
by Sadgit
xx
beetroot

Started by chickenlady on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 12:39
by chickenlady
clip
beetroot

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 22:09
by mdjlucan
xx
BIG beetroot.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2020, 20:27
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.